Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pay Per Email What Do You Think

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:45 PM

I was reading the news post earlier Aol, Yahoo, And Goodmail: Taxing For Fun and Profit. I figured it would be a good idea to start a topic for the discussion of weather or not it is a good idea and will people accept it.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 02:20 PM

Bye bye spam. I think it's a great idea. I send 100 or so emails a month, and would gladly pay 10 per if it would slow down the 300 to 500 spams I get a week.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 02:38 PM

I personally use Yahoo as my personal account, and use netscape for sites that " require" an email address and let all the spam go there

I think it's not such a good idea and will not likely cut down on a lot of the spam

Strictly personal opinion

#4 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:39 PM

I'm not exactly sure how i stand on this.

I agree that it would probably drastically reduce spam (accept for the companies that have the profit to do it).

However, i don't think i like the idea of me having to pay whenever i want to send an e-mail. I don't really have the much money to spend on e-mails. I have no source of income (accept my parents), and i'm a college student. I e-mail tons of people all the time for help regarding homework problems, staying in contact with friends, etc.

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:14 PM

I don't agree with it.. What's the purpose of e-mail without it being free? Will the new gimic of e-mail services be.. "FREE e-mail, yea you heard it right FREE!!!"

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:36 PM

I feel it will about as useless as a Do Not Call list or remove my fax number from your system.
You will cut down on the number of annoyances that should not even be exposed to, to begin with, for a while. Then they will start to creep back up. The process to complain is more time consuming than the amount of time it to delete them. Plus as with the calls they'll ask if you'll be willing to go to court. Hence few have that time and they know it.
One more reason I'd be against it is those that can't afford it. Kids could run up a huge bill ( like cell phone minutes). Next will be more timers ,limiters etc.. There's enough already.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:25 PM

I don't agree with it.. What's the purpose of e-mail without it being free? Will the new gimic of e-mail services be.. "FREE e-mail, yea you heard it right FREE!!!"

The purpose..hhmmm..could it be communication? Buniess not to unsimilar to snail mail? Convayence of documents (.txt .pdf...) not unsimilar to a fax? While you look at it as a free toy make no mistake alot of big money hinges on email. You do not think the spammers do this for free. Just like USPS junk, mail big dollars are paid for the mailing list.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 05:29 AM

Yeah I'll throw my 2 cents in here. As a personal user (no buisness just personal stuff) I pay to much for email already AOL takes $24 a month, COX takes $50 (and I still cant get an email through them) for me to pay an extra 10 cent to the government or the Email provider is kinda stupid.I mean Im already overpaying AOL for ISP services that I use maybe once a month now (no cable @ moms, cable doesnt even run down her street) Im not going to pay them to allow me to send emails now. For buisnesses I think that its a good Idea it'll greatly reduce Spam. But on the same token all the small sites with a newsletter or forums with topic reply notification would get hammerd by the bills (I get @ least 6 a day from bleeping computer+ 4 a day from fedora forums+ 5 or so from another small website). (I consider them small b/c they offer service and/or products for "free")

Posted Image

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:11 AM

*The present proposal extends only to bulk E-mailers who wish to have their E-mails "certified" and will pay for the expence.
*Assuming you trust these companies to only allow "legitimate" E-mails to bypass THEIR filtres, if you do not want to get these E-mails you will need to set up additional personal E-mail filtres.
*Like everything else, the first foot in the door seems both useful and legitimate (I mean who could be against SPAM or cute little kittens), but could, sometime down the road, end up as a precedent that would lead to individuals being charged for the service.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:54 AM

Yes. This is intended for the businesses and to certify there mail. But have you ever thought about how it may affect you? Would you want to pay money just to send a reminder e-mail to yourself? Or even to e-mail a distant family member? If you only contact them once a month? Are you willing to use your credit card to charge only a few pennies?

Personally if I had a credit card, I would never use it on anything less than $2.00 or over $500 on the internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users