Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will working in Sandboxie prevent an infection from Antivirus 2012

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 med1423

med1423

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

Can anyone tell me if working in the confines of Sandboxie will keep my Windows 7 system safe from an attack by the sophisticated virus types such as Antavirus 2012?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pajajn

Pajajn

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:54 AM

Sandboxie launches desired process in a separate [box] besides rest of the OS so if you run example Firefox sandboxed nothing will infect your system.

#3 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

Sandboxie and other virtulization software Work by Creating a Duplicate File system for the Program Running in the Box
Think of your PC as a piece of paper. Every program you run writes on the paper. When you run your browser, it writes on the paper about every site you visited. And any malware you come across will usually try to write itself into the paper.

Traditional privacy and anti-malware software try to locate and erase any writings they think you wouldn't want on the paper. Most of the times they get it right. But first the makers of these solutions must teach the solution what to look for on the paper, and also how to erase it safely.

On the other hand, the Sandboxie sandbox works like a transparency layer placed over the paper. Programs write on the transparency layer and to them it looks like the real paper. When you delete the sandbox, it's like removing the transparency layer, the unchanged, real paper is revealed.

Do I need other solutions if I use Sandboxie?

Sandboxie may be your first line of defense, but it should certainly be complemented by the more traditional anti-virus and anti-malware solutions. These solutions can let you know if your system does become infected in any way.

Typically, those other solutions employ various forms of pattern matching to discover malicious software and other threats. Sandboxie, on the other hand, quite simply does not trust any software code enough to let it out of the sandbox.

The combination of the two approaches should keep malicious software -- which is serving the interest of other unknown parties -- out of your computer.

Note: there are some Kind of Malware that have antivirtualization that will detect such software and either

advice :Don't depend on Security software and Use a layered security approach with some kind of common sense and i won't advice you to Play with Malware if you don't have the enough experiance
won't run in it or Exploit it infecting the Host system

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#4 Chase_Wheeler

Chase_Wheeler

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:25 PM

Working in a sandbox will help, but it will not guarantee your safety. Some virus's can "break" out of the sandbox, and I have also seen sandboxie misshandle programs and let them out.

It will help with some virus's but it should only be used as one layer of your security, not your only layer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users