Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I rescue my documents?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AlexandraMW

AlexandraMW

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

I don't know how, but my flash drive is bent and now no devices will read it. I am an amateur author and this was where all my stories were held. Is there a way to save it? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

Maybe.

Typical method of damage is bumping them while they are plugged in.

I've rescued some.
It depends on where it is bent.

Is the drive itself straight and metal plug is bent at a slight angle?

If so you and if you can find a local electronics repair facility then....

By carefully opening the flash drive and re-soldering the four leads from the actual USB plug back to the circuit board if they are loose then repair done. At that point copy everything off right away while still in the shop to a new flash drive. I've been successful 4 out of 5 times.
Warning. The shop could make matters worse, you need to be sure they can solder delicate parts.

If the body of the drive is bent or re-soldering does not fix it then you could go to the expensive option.
Unfortunately Data recovery software won't work if the drive isn't recognized.

www.ontrack.com Data Recovery Service. Probably very expensive

Edited by rotor123, 16 January 2012 - 07:02 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Linda.Christ

Linda.Christ

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:21 AM

PC data may crash anytime due to virus attack, malware & hard disk attack. It is essential to protect the laptop with good anti-virus software and backup solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users