Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Favourite Anti-malware?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RheTrO

RheTrO

• Banned
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:32 PM

What is your favourite Anti-Malware program? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:49 PM

Since no one program can catch everything, I don't have a favorite.
I use several:
aČ free
ewido security suite
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
Spywareblaster
SpywareGuard
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:29 PM

I use Spybot and Ad-AwareSE. TG1911 makes a valid point. Because each company has different criteria for what constitutes adware/spyware, each will look for, and find, a slightly different set. For ease of use, I like Ad-AwareSE, and for the extras included, I like Spybot.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Alpha_Blue

Alpha_Blue

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:55 PM

I would have to say my favorite is MSAS beta (Microsoft AntiSpyware).

Although, Ewido is really great too.

Those 2 are probably my favorite

#5 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:01 PM

I'd say SpySweeper and Ewido.

#6 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:34 PM

I have Ad-aware se and Spybot on my laptop. When I run them, one usually catches what the other one doesn't. It pays to have more than one!!! :thumbsup:

#7 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:45 AM

Hi guys, all great tips there. I have now managed to remove (I think - its not come back yet in 2 days which hopefully is good sign) SpywareStrike from my computer due to all the advice given.

I have a question though. Is it possible to be running too many Anti-spyware programmes on your computer? I currently now have the following all installed on my computer:

aČ free
ewido security suite
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
Spywareblaster
SpywareGuard
AVG

Is that ok? Should I delete some or even add some which I have missed out just to be extra sure? I saw that D-Trojanator mentioned 'SpySweeper'. Could someone please send me the link to that, so can downloaded that one as well.

How much space to do these programmes take up on your computer? Am guessing they're not massive programmes so can't harm to have a few.

Im not sure if I went bit overboard with the anti-spyware downloading in an attempt to remove SpywareStrike. lol. But I guess if it cleared it (seems to have) then is a good thing.

Cheers for the info guys. Take it easy, Nick :thumbsup:

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:46 PM

Having more than one firewall or one Anti-virus running on your computer at the same time can call serious conflicts. Having more than one anti-spyware application does not seem to have that result, although sometimes they find each other's definitions or quarantine files.

"One out of every 20 executable files on Web sites is spyware, and 1 in 25 domains contain at least one piece of spyware waiting for victims." according to a recent article comparing IE with Firefox.
http://www.informationweek.com/windows/sho...cleID=179102695

At some point, one has to consider the law of diminishing returns when installing anti-spyware software, but this must be weighted by both your layers of security, the surfing habits of those who use the computer, and your daily following security best practices. I would think that two to four applications would suffice for most users, and when combined would not take up any more space ( including updated definitions) than, say, Adobe Reader. I would add here that using an alternative browser to IE would most likely be equivalent to having several additional anti-spyware applications.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:40 PM

I have to say AdAware. When I run it in concert with AVG it scares up malware that AVG can then deal with. I also ind it records the Hkey beaytifully. I have been able to tract down several key entries that had to be changed to delete a nasty piece of malware.
You could look at it like the military. No one can complete a mission. It takesseveral if not all branches to pulling together to acomplish a set goal. One compliments the others.
Just my opinion.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#10 RheTrO

RheTrO
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 08:12 AM

I have the following :thumbsup:

AČ Free
Ewido
Ad-aware
Spybot
Avast! 4
Mcafee Stinger
used to have norton :flowers:

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:04 PM

What is your favourite Anti-Malware program? :thumbsup:

Excellent question... Easily answered, The one that is not on The Spyware Warrior List of Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites and is doing it's job as described at the time. :flowers:

Be (anti-malware app choice) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

Edit to fix URL link: :trumpet:

Edited by Animal, 14 February 2006 - 09:06 PM.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users