Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Typing Overtop Of Text While Inserting?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tetsusaiga83

tetsusaiga83

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:56 PM

once and a while I'll be typing text on a forum or whatever.. far as i can remember its happens only in internet explorer and firefox but maybe in other programs as well.. I'll be typing and go back to insert some text or fix a typo or somthing and it types over top of text instead of pushing it forward.. i can even hit space bar to space text and it just erases what I space overtop of.. It only happens once and a blue moon but its strange.. I've talked to several people and they all say its happend to them occasionally also.. I've delayed finding a answer to this for years but now its starting to bother me.. Is it a bug in windows or am i accidently turning on some handicap feature or somthing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:55 PM

Sounds like you have pressed the insert key located above the Delete key.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:04 AM

I suspect Acklan may be right. Just incase you don't know, the Insert key toggles between insert & overtype modes.

I think we've all hit it accidentally at some time or other. ;)
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#4 tetsusaiga83

tetsusaiga83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:50 AM

I've tried hitting the insert key and it doesnt do anything.

#5 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:19 AM

I've tried hitting the insert key and it doesnt do anything.

Open up note pad and type in some text, and toggle the insert key when editing... you will see a subtle difference. ;)
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#6 tetsusaiga83

tetsusaiga83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:05 PM

ok, in note pad if i hit insert between text is only deletes one letter which i can then type over if i choose, what i'm talking about is when every letter i type deletes the letter infront of his instead of pushing it forward, kind like if you hit insert at the same exact time as every keystroke you make.... like if i went to the beginning of the text i'm typing now and held down that letter x then the whole paragraph would become nothing but x's.

Edited by tetsusaiga83, 11 February 2006 - 03:12 PM.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:48 PM

You're right - it doesn't work in Notepad, or in my email program or when typing this post. :thumbsup:
Try in Word and you will see the difference.

Can you give specific examples of when it happens?
:flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:53 PM

I know what you mean tetsusaiga83, i've experienced that randomly. Are you on a Laptop?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 tetsusaiga83

tetsusaiga83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:42 AM

it somewhat working for me in note pad but its baisically just a delete key that goes forwards instead of backwards. im my case letters delete letters and every key does it constantly unless i close the browser or somthing.

There doesnt seem to be any reason is happens, its just randomly while typing and it happens like once out of every 200 forum post i make so its rare. I'm on a desktop PC, its happend on my last 2 pcs as well and several friends of mines desktops too. I'm guessing it doesnt matter what your on long as your using windows.

I tried contacting microsoft tech support but they dont have a clue but wont admit it. I told them I simply want to know why it happens and I dont care about fixing it. They just keep asking me if I have the currenty version of software and blah blah blah... they wont even comment on why it happens when I ask them, they change the subject like its some big conspiricy but really i think they are just robots and things they don't know just doesnt compute.

#10 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:56 AM

Isnt that Shift + Ins or something like that

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:22 PM

Well I've experienced it like this. The same as you have and sometimes as this: Your typing along ( and it's happened typing a reply as this before) next you look at your words and you are typing in a different spot on the page. Ok the odd part is each letter you type now replacesthe next existing letter on the page. As you type you're erasing and replacing previously typed text. Spacebar will do the same.
That is why I asked about the laptop. I thought it to be a problem with inadvertantly hitting the touch pad. But that's not it.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 tetsusaiga83

tetsusaiga83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:57 AM

i've never had it randomly go to a different part of the page before.. that could possibly be hitting the touch pad maybe?

#13 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 02:27 PM

The touchpad has done that to me before. You could be typing normally and then bump thetouchpad... placing the cursor where ever your mouse was pointed. You now find yourself typing where ever the mouse pointer happened to be.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#14 tetsusaiga83

tetsusaiga83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:56 PM

I guess the random typing overtop of letters must just be a bugi windows that no one knows the answer to yet.. hopefully some one will figure it out one day.

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:15 PM

I realize the touchpad thing, is what it is. I had asked to find out if the problem we both experienced was specific to laptops. But I see it isn't. So hopefully somehow it'll be figured out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users