Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Film Editing

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:54 PM

Ive seen a site called www.redvsblue.com it is a small movie made from halo and halo 2 that people filmed some how and added voices and so on i was wondering how that did this so i could do something simaler.
I can only learn what i want to learn.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:31 PM

The footage comes from Halo2 game, it seems to me they are using a jog control to back and for; and, most important, a video editing software. There are several options in the market, like Pinnacle Studio, (one of the easiest to use); Adobe Premiere (harder to master, but way more powerful) or Vegas Video (almost as powerful as Premiere, but many find it easier to use). Almost any video editing software this days let you dub, mix, add effects, titles, transitions, and finally, render to almost all of the most popular video formats.

#3 Osiris

Osiris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:43 PM

:D thanks for the info.

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:23 AM

Yea, you'll need to be able to have the video editing software. My friends and I made a movie for a class using Halo.

To do something like it, you'll need at least two xbox's, one that'll act as the 'camera' and the other(s) to control the characters in the movie. Also, Halo 2 also added that feature specifically for the redvsblue team where when you press down or up on the d-pad, your model put down their gun which made it possible to diverse the weapons they carried and not all have everybody looking straight down with pistols like in the first Halo.

The way we recorded stuff was having the 'camera' xbox was something like hooking it up to a VCR, which ran to the TV so we could see what we were doing then though it lowered the quality and we could have probably done it a much better way, we then took the VHS tape we just recorded and hooked up a digital camera up to the VCR and put the footage on a DV tape which we took back to school to put on the computer there (which now I have video editing stuff on my computer).

Now, I don't know how much its different on Halo 2 because I haven't played it as much but if you use the first halo to make a video, you'll need to make black squares to cover up the radar, health bar, and everything below the weapon (I reccomend using the pistol for the first Halo because it takes up the least space) try to get it just to cover up the unwanted things but you still want a big area to show. If you use the pistol, or any weapon for that matter, make sure you slightly move the joystick while recording so any idle animations wont play. If you notice on the redvsblue videos, you'll see slight movements every 10-15 seconds or so and sometimes you can see the tip of the pistol because they didn't move the stick at all.

*edit* oh yea, you'll need enough people to control all of the characters, that is one reason why our video kind of sucked. It was just one friend and I trying to do everything and we had up to 5 controllers to control in the process. Imagine how that worked when I had to mess with three and my friend had to mess with two to do a part in the movie where we used the 4 player split screen to show 4 snipers zooming in on one guy. So, get as many people that you can that you can trust not to screw around.

Lastly, you'll want to make sure you have good means of recording things like voices, that is a big thing that though we got an 'A' on the project, I thought our sound was terrible, acting and quality. So you'll want to mess around and get the best quality as possible. For example, take the sound quality in season one of redvsblue as compared to season two or three, or even the fourth.

I hope this expanded information might have helped you a little bit and good luck, its really fun.

Hopefully, some friends and I will pull together an action movie using Halo 2.

Currently, I'm in the process of making a battle video using Rome: Total War and a song from the Matrix movies, Navras. I've got about a minute into it and using footage from fraps takes forever because I have to render any footage I mess with no matter how little I did to it and it takes tons of time. That and each little clip I get from R:TW using only a 30 frame capture rate at half size without recording sounds or anything is like 200+ megs. . . and I'm only a minute into it and the song is just over nine minutes long. :thumbsup:

anyway, good luck.

Wizdabest

Edited by Wizdabest, 11 February 2006 - 12:27 AM.

#5 Osiris

Osiris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:28 PM

Heh so how did you actualy caputure the film ? could you put it on a link or some were on the net so i could watch it ? im still having some trouble seeing how you filmed it and how does redvsblue make it that the screen it one and not 4 diffrent ?

#6 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:46 PM

Well, I don't have a DV copy of it and I don't know where the VHS tape with it is. The acting is so bad that I'd prefer to not be embarassed. Maybe I can use fraps and record and give an example with the PC version of Halo or something.

To capture the film, you'll need a digital camera that has a firewire port on it, then if you have a firewire card on your computer, you can get a special wire to connect them and use the video editing programs to capture the footage onto your computer. There is also another way of capturing footage to the computer through like an external audio/visual jack things which connects via USB (i belive) to the PC.

You need at least two xboxes and the ability to connect them all in a lan to be able to do this. One xbox will be the 'capture' xbox and the other xbox(s) will control the characters. You record footage using the 'capture' xbox.

*edit* what I mean by a 'capture' xbox is that,

Example, say you want four characters in a video.

Xbox 1 (capture box) = One player so the entire screen can be used.
Xbox 2 (character box) = 4 players controlling the characters while the person on Xbox 1 has them on his/her screen.

Edited by Wizdabest, 11 February 2006 - 01:48 PM.

#7 Osiris

Osiris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:17 PM

O ok that makes it alot esier to understand but i dont have it for pc i have it for xbox how would i film it on a tv? would i put the camera infront of it while i play and with the film editing program can i inhance the quality. If you have halo online you should try filiming that and add some voices in it could be pritty funny.

#8 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:39 PM

No, you don't need to actually film the television itself.

What you do is (sorry if this gets complicated),

I'd imagine that the setup is you have the xbox connected to the tv and you play it like that? What we did (but isn't the best quality) was connected the Xbox to the VCR and put the TV to the input channel for the VCR. Next we put a VHS tape in the VCR and recorded our source footage onto the VHS. Then we connected a digital camera to the VCR and turned it on to VCR so that it directly recorded the footage when we played the VHS.

*edit* One thing about doing that if the VCR has frontal audio visual jacks, they're input only and you'll need to connect the camera to the audio visual jacks in the back.

Edited by Wizdabest, 11 February 2006 - 05:40 PM.

#9 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:56 PM

Speaking of which, what would be the best options for recording good quality dialog for a video? This would be if we start making another video using footage from a game, which would most likley be Halo (2). I know the way we did it for our school project sucked but are there some good and cheap mics and a good program that could give us good quality?

#10 Osiris

Osiris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:06 PM

I know the way we did it for our school project sucked but are there some good and cheap mics and a good program that could give us good quality?

I dont know if that was directed towards me but im sure if you find a music store or a second hand store of some kind then you might find some cheap mics or even best buy. Also what if i couldnt get two xbox's but i could go online with halo and play against my friends on a vs game so no random people could join could that also work ? and with your idea were you need 2xbox's one so the view is big and the other for the characters but wouldnt you also need two tv's ?

#11 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:39 PM

Yea, that question was for anybody that could answer it.

I suppose doing a game on xbox live would be alright however, the one problem I would see with that it would be hard to stay in contact with your friends in the game. Though you can use the mics but I guess it would depend on how you want to do it all. I've never tried it with Halo 2 but I'd imagine somebody would be talking if you're trying to record something unless I guess its actually for the movie itself but the quality is most likely going to not be as good (For example, check out the Counter Strike video's Militia Project Part 1 and 2. In Part 1 they used in-game voice communication and it was almost impossible to hear them. In Part 2, they used the in-game communication to make the models talk but they dubbed over it all with redone voices). Also I know it works with Halo one but I don't know about Halo 2 or even xbox live but you'd have to give the characters on the screen a blank name (like just a space for a name) so that it wont show up on the 'capture' screen, which was something we found out when doing our video.

About needing two tv's, yea otherwise you couldn't do it since the other people couldn't see what they were doing.

*edit*
Both of these are from fileplanet

cs_militia_project part 1
http://www.fileplanet.com/111435/110000/fi...h-Resolution%5D

cs_militia_project part 2
http://www.fileplanet.com/111529/110000/fi...ality---DivX%5D

There is an insane difference in the overall quality of how they were both done especially the voices.

Edited by Wizdabest, 12 February 2006 - 07:31 PM.

#12 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:32 PM

I did a big search of the house today and found the VHS with the halo video on it. So around tomorrow afternoon I'm going to search through some parts of it to see what I can put together for an example without embarassing myself with its crappy voice acting.

One thing I don't know is how to get it on the internet once I put bits of it back together.

*edit* Okay, I'm cutting most of it out and taking out the dialog in it to avoid the crappy acting exept for one part which in my opinion is the funniest part.

Edited by Wizdabest, 13 February 2006 - 01:46 PM.

#13 Osiris

Osiris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:40 PM

How can you soom in and stuff like in computer games like age of empires and stuff kinda like the camera is sliding around the game and then sooms into a spot of the game.

#14 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:53 PM

For Age of Empires (I think the third one is different because its in 3-d) 1 and 2, you'd have to change the resolutions to make it look zoomed in.

Oh and Osiris, I have a sample of my Halo video if you didn't see my PM.

#15 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:17 PM

Another way to do this to is get a PCI TV-Tuner card on your computer. I have this and I can connect my xbox directly to my computer and record use windows movie maker (wich is isn't all that bad for someone starting out). Then to add the voices I used my sound blaster recording software and then added them to the timeline using a mic.

If you have any more questions just add them to this post or send me a pm.

Mic = about 20$CAD
TV Tuner Card (MSI TV@nywhere) = about 70$CAD

BTW Be careful wich TV Tuner card you get some will only have a coax input. The MSI one I got as composite (RCA) and s-video inputs to and also has an FM tuner. And to hook up the sound you got to buy a little wire (5$CAD) that has the red and white RCA hookups on one end and an 1/8th inch (headphone) jack on the other to plug into the input of the tv tuner card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users