Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Optiplex 170L+XP Pro, Lost recovery partition?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Expert Novice

Expert Novice

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

I bought the machine in question from a friend and have used it for sometime. I would now like to restore it to its original factory state. Not having any installation discs for XP I wanted to use the recovery partition but I'm not sure if this is still on the hard drive or not. Looking in disc management there is the main partition labeled C: showing 74.44GB and also an un-named partition showing 55mb of total capacity with 48mb free space. i have tried to use ctr+f11 at start up according to the directions on Dells site for how to start the recovery process but that doesn't do anything and the machine continues to boot as normal.

So I need to know if this smaller partition is likely to be the recovery partition? Is there any way to look and see what data is stored on there? If ctrl+f11 is not working does that mean the factory restore option is no longer available on this machine or is there something else I can try? Maybe I just need to ask Dell to send me the recovery disc.

Thanks for reading :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:06 PM

I seem to remember that the Optiplex you have came with a set of discs. Windows install disc, Driver disc and software disc(s)

That 55Mb partition is the not the recovery partition, it is the Diagnostic partition.

The drive size you are showing for C: is the proper size for a 80Gb hard drive.

You will need the right XP disk, and ahead of time download the drivers and utilities from the Dell site.

BY Right XP Disc I mean either a Dell XP disc or a OEM XP disc that matches whichever version, XP Home or XP Pro, the license on the computer is. Maybe your friend still has the discs?

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

You will need the right XP disk

BY Right XP Disc I mean either a Dell XP disc or a OEM XP disc that matches whichever version, XP Home or XP Pro, the license on the computer is. Maybe your friend still has the discs?

Hi Roger, thanks for the reply. No my friends does not have any discs.

If I understand you correctly you're saying I'd need a disc that was specific to the licence key that came with the machine? So I couldn't just use any XP Pro install disc and use the XP pro licence key on the sticker on the side of the machine to activate it.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

Not what I'm saying at all.
What I'm trying to say is that if the License is for XP home then you need either the Dell XP Home disk or a OEM XP Home disc.
If the License is for XP Pro then you need a Dell XP Pro Disc or a OEM XP Pro disc.

Generically speaking a Dell XP disc will install on a Dell computer and create some Dell specific folder(s) in addition to installing Windows.

A OEM XP will work too. Just be sure to use the Dell website drivers as some Dell hardware is slightly modified.

For example a Dell SoundBlaster live sound card requires drivers for the Dell website since the hardware is different than the Creative SoundBlaster as sold retail.

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 14 January 2012 - 05:51 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

Ok, that's very helpful and much appreciated.

Many thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users