Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 freezes after login

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 atrus

atrus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

Please help me solve this problem. Windows 7 freezes after login. I doesn't matter if it is safe mode or normal it always freezes after login. So I cannot get into windows at all. It is a Toshiba satellite L675. I reset the CMOS in the bios to default settings hoping that would remedy the problem but no luck. I really don't want to do a hard reset, plus I don't think it is the problem. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:32 PM

Have you checked the hard drive or run a diagnostic test since it freezes also in safemode?

Tekken

#3 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:00 AM

First lets make sure the hardware is fine.

Use MemTest86+ to test your memory for failure.

• Download the latest version of the Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip).
  • Locate the file you downloaded, right-click it and select Extract All. Check the box for Show extracted files when complete. Click Extract.
  • Burn the ISO file to a CD. This process is not like burning music. It will require a special program. Follow the instructional link if this is new to you.
  • Boot the affected computer from the CD. Repeatedly pressing F9 or F12 right after the computer is turned on is the most common way to bring up the 'boot device' menu. Choose the CD/DVD option and press Enter.
  • Memtest86+ will begin testing automatically and is designed to repeat its tests continuously. It is recommended that you allow the program to complete at least 5-7 'passes' before declaring the memory error-free.
    • Note: These tests can be very lengthy, often lasting many hours.
  • If Memtest finds an error, it will list it in red. There is no need to continue the test if an error is found. You may either press Esc to reboot or you may simply turn the computer off.
  • If there are errors and you are comfortable working with the computer's parts, remove every stick of RAM except for the one closest to the CPU. Begin step #4 again. After the test, shut the computer down, remove the RAM stick, put the next one in its place, and retest. Repeat this pattern for each RAM stick.
  • Report your findings in your next reply.

====================================================

Perform diagnostics on your hard drive.

• If you can log into Windows:

• Click the Start Orb and type in "device manager." In the search results, double-click device manager.
    • Double-click Disk Drives. The first drive listed is most likely the one you want to test.
    • Take note of its manufacturer (Samsung, Western Digital (WD), Seagate (ST), Toshiba, Hitachi, etc.)
      • If are still uncertain about your hard drive's manufacturer, include what you see there in your next reply and await further instructions.
    • Use this thread to download the appropriate diagnostic tool.
    • If you are unsure what to download or how to proceed, use SeaTools for Windows. Carefully read and follow the procedure given on that page.
  • If you cannot log into Windows:

• If you haven't already, include your computer's manufacturer and model number in your next reply.
    • Use SeaTools for DOS. Carefully read and follow the procedure given on that page.
    • Direct the program to perform a 'short-test'. If it passes, perform a 'long-test'. This will likely take a few hours.
  • Report the results in your next reply.

=============================================================

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#4 atrus

atrus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

@ jhayz, I have run diagnostics at boot up and they return no errors.
@ luchelibre, i'll try your ideas and get back to you all, thanks to both for you ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users