Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:27 AM
system is an HP elite 1010 desktop Windows 7 64 bit
windows explorer crashes randomly opening picture folders with any icon view (small to xlarge)
crash is always stackhash
this also causes Office (Outlook, Word) to crash when trying to insert pictures
it started just about at purchase, as soon as files were moved from an xp system
have tried everything i have read about
- checked DEP settings
- sfc /scannow showed no issues
- all windows updates done
- shellexview - disabled everything non MS in the context menu
- clean boot with all non ms services off
- moved all the picture folders to another W764 system where the problem does not happen, so assuming it is not a corrupt file
- broke folders up to smaller ones, and different ones cause the crash, so can't point to an indvidual file
it 'seems' to be related to the speed of clicking the mouse in the folder once it opens... extreme patience makes it happen much less often, but still happens sometimes
just ordered repair DVD from HP, but not sure what to do...
is there a 'repair' that will not wipe up installed programs, user definitions, etc that is worth trying?
any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
thank-you for BleepingComputer!