Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prevent access

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 defurman

defurman

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:04 AM

I am running a Linux OS and was wondering if it was possible to stop Internet Explorer from viewing my websites via the hosts file or by some other means?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:13 AM

I do not understand what you are asking.
IE is Windows' browser. Unless you have installed IE using Wine, IE is not on your comp or accessing your comp while a Linux
distro is running.

Maybe you could explain further any problem you are having.

Is this a stand alone home computer...not on a home network or business network?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 defurman

defurman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

Hi buddy215

Sorry i didn't make myself clear in the previous post.

Is it possible to prevent a visitor to my website who maybe using IE from accessing the site?

The visitor(s) obviously wouldn't be using my computer.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

So you are the website administrator/ webmaster?

Is the website hosted on your computer or another server? Just asking so someone
who is more knowledgeable about setting up a website can assist you.
I would imagine it would be possible to block IE users.
But what would they see when attempting to visit the site? Would you want the IE users to see
a message explaining what they must do to view the site?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 defurman

defurman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

My whole purpose in asking this question was to determine if it is possible to block a web browser from accessing my web site and how i might accomplish it.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

BC has a forum for that where you might get a quicker and more knowledgeable response from those
who monitor it. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum38.html

Edited by buddy215, 14 January 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#7 Chase_Wheeler

Chase_Wheeler

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

I know this is in the wrong section but I will answer it anyways. I only did a small bit of googleing and the first website I came upon was this one. They offer a couple different ways but the easy one to use is the javascript one found in the code block below

<html>
<head>
        <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="1; 
URL=http://www.domain.com/realhomepage.html">
</head>
<body>
<script language="javascript">
<!--
if (navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer") {
        document.location = "http://www.domain.com/ie_reject.shtml"; 
} else { 
        document.location = "http://www.domain.com/realhomepage.html";
}
// -->
</script>
</body>
</html>

But also you can "block" specific Internet Explorer browsers with the If IE command found below
<!--[if IE 6]>
Special instructions for IE 6 here, Replace the 6 with whichever version you want to block.
You can also have one of these statements for every version of IE
<![endif]-->

with that one what you do is you have IE load different CSS files for each browser, so if you really want to block IE all together have the CSS put all of the content on the page to invisible, or the height to 0 or something, Its been awhile since I have done it but it works with some tinkering.

The better thing to do instead of just plain blocking them is to offer them a better alternative. So build a page that tells them that you don't approve of Microsoft (or whatever reason you are blocking IE) and offer them a link to whatvever browser you want them to use, like Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome. Make sure to add in a picture of the icon or something and make it look pretty so that they will actually consider getting it, I would suggest going to this website if you are going to offer firefox, it has almost every banner they offer. Also Google Chrome, Opera, and even (god forbid) Safari should have their own version of that page, just do a google search or look around on the browsers website.

#8 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:21 PM

I haven't done web pages in over a decade. But all it should take/used to take is detecting the browser identity and reacting to it. Usually that would mean sending it to an alternate page that would tell them IE isn't welcome. Put in a nicer way, of course.

There should be tons of tutorials on the net to show how. Here's just one such tutorial.

If the alternate page contains a "contact me" link, expect to get some nasty comments. Even if it doesn't many will come back with another browser just to get to a page they can view so they can give you grief.

#9 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

Thank you, Chase_Wheeler, for the intro tutorial -- it will most likely be my first foray into CGI script on one of my websites!
Most informative!
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users