Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing SSD... need advice on software installation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Enriqe

Enriqe

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:13 AM

Hello folks

I'm currently running vista 64 on a raid stripe-0 (C:) I've installed a bunch of Adobe software on another raid stripe-0 (K:) all are 1.5 TB HDD's x4 I do have a 5th HDD for backup.

I've purchased windows 7 64 ultimate and I want to do a clean install on a 240 gig SSD. I will reinstall the Adobe software, pictures, movies ect. on the (K:) Raid-0.

The thing I noticed on my original build is even though I downloaded the software to (K:) it still created a lot of folders with info on (C:) the O.S. drive) 26 gigs worth. of course the more i use the software the bigger the files get.
I save all the projects and stuff to (K:) too.
I really don't want this to happen when I install the SSD. I'm afraid it will eventually eat up all the room.

What I'm asking is does anyone know how i could stop this from happening... or is thier a book, manual or something you would recommend.

Sincerely

Erik

It creates the folders in C:user/appdata/roaming/adobe and also in MY Documents.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enriqe

Enriqe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:53 AM

I believe I found what I was looking for.

http://www.overclock.net/t/664738/how-to-setup-ssd-boot-drive-with-secondary-hard-disc-optimization

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for posting your results.

Don't forget AHCI for windows 7.

I myself never bothered. so far since spring and before I move some files off of c: my 300Gb SSD is around approx 70 to 80Gb used. I left my paging file on c: too. Why have a super fast drive and then give up some of the benefits of it?
The only tweaks I did were the ones done by Windows itself and the Intel SSD toolbox. That is on my desktop and of course the laptops.

personally I would install the software to the SSD for performance.

You could of course periodically clean out the application data folder, or configure the application to use a different drive.

BTW since I trust the SSD more than a mechanical drive I keep anything important there as well as on a BD-R disc.

My brothers desktop I used a 160Gb SSD for speed and when I went to make a clone of it I was able to clone to a 60GB Samsung SSD I got a good price on. With room to spare. The only thing I told him was keep data on the 1Tb data drive and a backup on the 1TB USB external drive.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Enriqe

Enriqe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

Thank you Rotor;

I'm not sure how to clear an application data folder. I'm putting the programs on a HDD raid because they require me too and they do take up a lot of room.
I don't know if they would recognize the fact that the SSD is faster. If I put the premier pro on a single drive the manual tells me i won't get the full use of it. So I've just been keeping all the Adobe programs together on a separate drive.

Does the Intel SSD toolbox come with the SSD or do I download it from somewhere? (SSD is in the mail i haven't gotten it yet.)

I take it you like the SSD's and if you trust them more, I guess that means you haven't had much trouble with them ... Good to know ...Thanks

And thanks Rotor for reminding me of AHCI for the SSD.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:19 PM

As long as the SSD is a Intel brand then you can download and run their SSD toolbox from the Intel website.

Assuming you got a Intel SSD, If it is a series 320 SSD make sure it has the latest firmware.

With Samsung it is called samsung ssd magician.
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/MZ-5PA128/US
http://www.techspot.com/review/340-samsung-470-series-ssd/page3.html

Samsung SSD Magician Software
The Samsung 470 Series support the Windows 7 TRIM command, however for those not running Microsoft’s latest operating system Samsung has a solution called SSD Magician. The Samsung SSD Magician software is a small application (less than 10MB) that provides users running Windows XP with SP3 or above, Windows Vista with SP1 or above, Windows Server 2003 (32-bit and 64-bit) with SP2 or above, and Windows Server 2008 (32-bit and 64-bit) the ability to use the TRIM function to restore lost performance.

Edited by rotor123, 14 January 2012 - 11:20 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Enriqe

Enriqe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:45 PM

Thanks Again Rotor Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic