Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

M.S. Update KB971029 installed accidently

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:16 PM

My comment today about this in the Windows Vista board of the forum should have been better placed here, not there.

Old toshiba laptop with Windows XP, s.p.3 - I accidently downloaded and installed M.S. Update KB971029, about the AutoPlay. After computer restart, I tried inserting a flashdrive storage device and found no difference from not having the update. The same dialog box opens showing me the typical selections to make for the device.

I did not understand the description about this update from the Microsoft webpages nor from some of the discussions here (or on the Vista board of Bleeping Computer), so I am not sure what I really gained or lost by having this update now on the XP computer.

Mod Edit: Moved Vista post to this topic ~ Hamluis.

This Miscrosoft update, kb971029, was accidently installed today on the machine having Windows XP s.p. 3, because of confusion in choosing "Express" or "Custom". So, now the update is on the machine. After a ReStart, I tried inserting a flash-drive just to see what would happen. The same typical dialog came up, as usual the way it would before taking this update. I did not yet try opening a file from a flash-drive this way, so maybe that is the necessary next check to do.

Based on this, I do not know what difference this update was supposed to make. I have not understood the M.S. description of the update; so I do not know exactly what it does nor how having this update is any different from not having this update.

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2012 - 10:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:52 AM

Hi -
If you are concerned, please go to Control Panel > Add / Remove > scroll down to see if the KB is listed -
From there you can delete it if you wish -

Thank You -
EDIT - There is the same item available for XP download also -
Download: Update for Windows XP (KB971029) - Microsoft ...

Edited by noknojon, 14 January 2012 - 01:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users