Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just switched to FireFox

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aloflin

aloflin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 06 November 2004 - 01:11 PM

Just switched to FIREFOX, now MSN can't sign me in. I'm sure there's a simple solution...or is this a Microsoft plot? I'm just hitting my panic button. Going to try and contact MSN in the meantime ....but if you have the solution before I give them a call it would be much appreciated! THANKS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 07 November 2004 - 02:06 AM

You got it right first time. It really is a MS plot. Most MS pages will not work properly in FF. For example to do updates you have to use MsExplorer. Just a WAG but MSN probably is the same problem.

You might try going to FF Extensions and d/l the User Agent Switcher extension.

Click Here for User Agent Switcher Extension

It is under *U* which is about the nineteenth page of the extensions.

Then when you get a site that doesn't work right you click the switcher to emulate MSExplorer.

Don't know if that will solve the MSN problem but it works for some others that are still set up for Explorer.

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 07 November 2004 - 02:49 AM

That was thoughtful of you, Bluie
I've downloaded it and will give it a whirl. Thanks.

Edited by phawgg, 07 November 2004 - 02:51 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 07 November 2004 - 03:54 AM

Aloflin

Not sure if this will be helpful, but I have Firefox and I can access msn.com, my Hotmail account and messenger without reverting to IE or using the IE extension. I have set messenger to log me in automatically when I go online (it doesn't require the browser).
Is this what you mean? Sorry if I have misunderstood. The only thing I can't do with Firefox is windows updates, but if I know what I want I can get them from the windows download center using Firefox.
Maybe one of your settings is preventing you logging on?

Just ignore this if it's irrelevant!

Cheers

luci2a :thumbsup:

Edited by luci2a, 07 November 2004 - 03:55 AM.

#5 noonytunes

noonytunes

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 07 November 2004 - 07:36 AM

I couldn't get signed into .NET by way of IE for the longest time. I contacted the .NET people, HP, and MSN--nobody could help me. It had something to do with my files getting wiped out, I think. I clicked on the wrong thing with a Spybot Search and Destroy notifier, and I had to use Application Recovery. I could access my msn e-mail through Firefox, but not IE. I have group memberships with msn, and I didn't have full capacity for making posts through Firefox (emoticons, fonts, etc.) Right before I wiped out my files, I downloaded SP2 for XP. I couldn't access downloads through IE, so I ordered the cd for SP2 by mail. Ever since I got things built back up from losing my files and since I used the cd for SP2, I can access everything on msn through IE.
Maybe this has no relevance to your situation. I'm still a dummy on the technical end of things. I just thought I would relay my story in case it joggles something in your noggin. Good luck!
noonytunes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users