Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Decoder

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:35 PM

I just bought a DVD-Rom/CD-RW drive to replace my practically new CD-RW (it's obscene how often I buy new toys for my computer :thumbsup: ). The New drive worked fine and Windows was able to install all the correct drivers and such so that all I had to do was reboot to finish (I know, amazing! A trouble free upgrade with Windows!) I wanted to play DVDs on my computer and I assumed that Windows Media Player 10 would have such funtions built in (I was wrong.)

When I googled "Windows Media Player 10 DVD decoder" I was sent to a page at microsoft.com page listing several different plugins (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/getmore/plugins.aspx#DVDDecoder). All of these cost money, which I have in short supply (I spend it all on computer hardware rather than software :flowers: ). Is there a good DVD decoder for Media Player 10 (Win XP Pro SP2) that is free? or is there a free DVD player program somewhere out there in cyberspace?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:41 AM

Hey there,

I have a solution for you......but your gonna have to part with WMP for the most part. I did, in fact I dont think I have even opened it for 6 months. Anyway, enough jokes, there just happens to be an all in one solution.

It's called the K-Lite Codec Pak. It comes with two media players, good ones, and all the codecs that you need for almost all of todays technology. It even has QuickTime and Real replacements, and all the files play through the one Media Player, (Media Player Classic). You can watch Movies using the other player if you choose, (BS Player) but you don't have to.

Here is the link for the download: K-Lite Mega Codec Pack

There are two other versions, but this one is the whole ball of wax, and no Crapware either. Keep in mind that this is a 34MB download.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users