Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 kristina1986

kristina1986

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

Hello all.

I have a Dell Inspiron N4010, purchased 11/2010 (out of warranty).

No clue what any of my system specs are, as I can't get in to my system.

A couple of days ago I shut down my system. When I went to turn it back on yesterday, Windows 7 would not boot. It just keeps restarting over and over.

I formatted my c: partition, thinking I could restore my system to the factory settings (which would be fine with me... I have a backup of all my data files).

Sure enough, Dell's System Recovery tool (partition x:) popped up the first time I turned my laptop on after formatting the c: partition.

I chose Dell DataSafe Restore, and selected the full system backup named "Factory Image" and dated 11/26/2010 6:31:00 AM.

After about 1 second, the error message "Error 0x400110020000100A" popped-up.

That's it. I can't provide you with any DDR or GMER logs, as I can't access my laptop. Trying to boot in Safe Mode also results in endless reboots.

I downloaded and burned Hiren's Boot CD, but dare not use it on my own.

Any suggestions. Please help.

Thanks.

Kristina

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2012 - 09:55 AM.
Moved from AII to Win 7 per Advisor request.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

I formatted my c: partition

Exactly how did you go about formatting the C: partition?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 kristina1986

kristina1986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

I typed "format c:" from command prompt. I can't get a command prompt now without using Hiren's Boot CD.

#4 kristina1986

kristina1986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

BTW, are the moderators and/or members notified when I reply to one of their replies, or do I have to PM them?

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:21 PM

If someone has subscribed to a topic by using Watch Topic he/she will receive an email when someone replies in that topic.

If not subscribed the majority of those helping you will check the topic when they are here.

No, you do not need to pm someone who is helping you.

I know patience is in short supply when you have a computer problem but you will need to be patient as you wait for those replies.

Bleeping Computer has members and staff from all over the world and the one(s) helping you may be asleep when you are awake.

AustrAlien WILL see this topic when he is here.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 January 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

I suspect that there may be a problem with the hard drive, so I would like you to test that as a first step.

Let's see if you can run the DELL Diagnostics from the utility partition on the hard drive.
  • Start the computer and press <F12> immediately when the DELL logo appears.
  • Select Diagnostics from the boot menu and press <ENTER>.
  • Press any key to start the Dell Diagnostics.
  • Choose to test the hard drive.
  • If you encounter a problem during the test, write down the error code and problem description.
Reference: Dell™ Inspiron™ N4010 Setup Guide
Direct download link: Download Setup Guide
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 kristina1986

kristina1986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

Just finished the Dell Diagnostics. There were no options to select... the testing began immediately after I chose "Diagnostics" from the Boot Menu. I did notice that it ran a hard drive test called DST Short Test. After about five minutes, during the memory tests that followed the hard drive test, I received a message that said "No problems have been found with this system so far. Do you want to run the remaining memory tests? This will take about 30 minutes or more. Do you want to continue? (Recommended)". I chose yes. After about an hour, the tests finished with no errors (all "Pass"). At the end of the Diagnostics, there was a message that said "Pre-boot assessment complete. Please select OK to reboot your system." I chose OK to reboot. The system continued its cycle of perpetual reboots. I turned the system off after about 15 reboots.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

That's a good start, but I was hoping you would have the opportunity to run a Long DST (Drive Self Test) as well as the Short DST. Never mind. Let's do the following more thorough check of the hard drive.

Test the hard drive using a SeaTools bootable CD.
It is best to use the hard drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility, but Seagate's tool will work OK on most brands. The diagnostic tool is run from a bootable CD (Windows does not need to be working.The first two steps are done on a working computer, while the third step is to boot the ailing computer with the CD that you create in the first two steps.)

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.

When you can, include the make and model number of the problematic hard drive. If you do choose to use SeaTools, you will see the model number (and maybe the make) when SeaTools first detects the hard drive.

Edit to add a note re "I downloaded and burned Hiren's Boot CD"
Hiren's Boot CD is deemed to be illegal due to copyright infringements, and we cannot recommend it be used, or offer instructions to use it on the Bleeping Computer forums.

Edited by AustrAlien, 14 January 2012 - 09:39 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 kristina1986

kristina1986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

Finished both the short and long tests in the "Basic Tests" menu of SeaTools. Both passed.

Here's a transcript of the "Test Information and Results" window:

ST9500325AS 6VEEPMJ4 (Model ID and Serial Number)
Started Short DST 1/14/2012 @ 16:35.54
DST Completed Without Error
Short DST PASSED 1/14/2012 @ 16:37.58
Long Test PASSED 1/14/2012 @ 16:37.58

Here's a transcript of the "Selected Drive Information" window:

Device 0 is Seagate Device ST9500325AS 6VEEPMJ4 On Intel SM Series / 3400M Series AHCI
Max Native Address 976773167
Device is 48 Bit Addressed - Number of LBAs 976773167 (500.108 GB)
This drive supports Security Features
SMART is Supported and ENABLED
SMART has NOT Been Tripped
DST Is Supported
Logging Feature Set Is Supported
POH 1685 Current Temp 52

I hope this helps. If you need any other info let me know.

Thanks.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:13 AM

Short DST PASSED 1/14/2012 @ 16:37.58
Long Test PASSED 1/14/2012 @ 16:37.58

Good!

If you google 0x400110020000100a you will get an amazing number of results (2,500), indicating that you have a very common problem, not confined to just one make of system, but to many brands, with the only thing in common being the Windows OS .... namely Vista or Windows 7.

Strangely, I have not been able to find a definitive cause or solution for your particular situation! I am still working on that ... and we may have to investigate your situation further if a Dell Factory Image Restore cannot be achieved successfully.

Are you able/Are you willing to perform a Dell Factory Image Restore (see page 66 -67)?
Reference: Dell™ Inspiron™ N4010 Setup Guide
Direct download link: Download Setup Guide

Note: You may stop the process before proceeding to Step 8 if you wish.

Starting Dell Factory Image Restore
1. Turn on the computer.
2. When the Dell logo appears, press <F8> several times to access the Advanced Boot Options window.
NOTE: If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft® Windows® desktop; then, shut down your computer and try again.
3. Select Repair Your Computer.
The System Recovery Options window appears.
4. Select a keyboard layout and click Next.
5. To access the recovery options, log on as a local user. To access the command prompt, type administrator in the User name field, then click OK.
6. Click Dell Factory Image Restore. The Dell Factory Image Restore welcome screen appears.
NOTE: Depending upon your configuration, you may need to select Dell Factory Tools, then Dell Factory Image Restore.
7. Click Next. The Confirm Data Deletion screen appears.
NOTE: If you do not want to proceed with Dell Factory Image Restore, click Cancel.
8. Select the check box to confirm that you want to continue reformatting the hard drive and restoring the system software to the factory condition, then click Next.
The restore process begins and may take five or more minutes to complete. A message appears when the operating system and factory-installed applications have been restored to factory condition.
9. Click Finish to restart the computer.

NOTE: (not related to your problem)

Current Temp 52

The temperature of the hard drive is getting a little on the high side.
  • up to 50 °C Good
  • 50 -55 °C Warning
  • 55 - 60 °C Severe warning
  • > 60 °C risk serious damage to the hard drive

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 kristina1986

kristina1986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:21 AM

As I stated in the first post, I performed a Dell Factory Image Restore prior to starting this topic.

When I tapped F8, I was taken to a Windows-esque "Sytem Recovery Options" window. The six options were:

Startup Repair
System Restore
System Image Recovery
Windows Memory Diagnostic
Command Prompt
Dell DataSafe Restore and Emergency Backup

I initially chose Startup Repair. Upon beginning Startup Repair, there was a message that read "Startup Repair is checking your system for problems." The message then changed to "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically." There was an option to send information about this problem to Microsoft to help them create future solutions. I did not do this as I no longer have network access on this computer.

I clicked on the option to "View diagnostic and repair details." Here is a transcript of the resultant Startup Repair window:

Diagnosis and repair details:

Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log
----------------------
Number of repair attempts: 1

Sesion details
----------------------
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory = \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\Harddisk0\Partition3\Windows
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed:
----------------------
Name: Check for updates
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
Time taken = 32ms

Test Performed:
----------------------
Name: System disk test
Time taken = 0ms

Test Performed:
----------------------
Name: Disk failure diagnosis
Time taken = 202ms

Test Performed:
----------------------
Name: Disk metadata test
Time taken = 47ms

Test Performed:
----------------------
Name: Target OS test
Time taken = 31ms

Root cause found:
----------------------
Boot configuration is corrupt.

Repair action: Partition table repair
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490
Time take = 250md

----------------------
----------------------

After Startup Repair failed, I chose System Restore and System Image Recovery. I received a message that "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer."

I then chose Dell DataSafe Restore and Emergency Backup. What happened next was explained in my initial post:

I chose Dell DataSafe Restore, and selected the full system backup named "Factory Image" and dated 11/26/2010 6:31:00 AM.

After about 1 second, the error message "Error 0x400110020000100A" popped-up.

It was after the failed Factory Image Restore that I have been stuck in the endless reboot cycle. Every time I have started my system since performing the Factory Image Restore, I go into Startup Repair. The only thing I can piece together from the Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log that I transcribed in this post is:

Root cause found:
----------------------
Boot configuration is corrupt.

Repair action: Partition table repair
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490

I have no objection to completely wiping the entire harddrive and reinstalling a clean OS, but Dell didn't send any friggin' OS backup discs. Is it possible to clean the harddrive, effectively restoring it to its factory condition? Can I get Windows restore discs from Dell?

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

Can I get Windows restore discs from Dell?

Good idea!

Give DELL a call and see what you can arrange. Let me know what you come up with.

I haven't given up on the possibility of being able to recover without the disks, but it may well be quicker and easier for you to go that route.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 kristina1986

kristina1986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

Ok... I just got the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit re-installation DVD from Dell. I already had the Dell drivers and utilities re-installation DVD. I have also run "Full Erase" from the "Advanced Features" menu of SeaTools for DOS v2.23. Do I need to do anything else to make certain there is nothing lurking anywhere in my laptop? Can I go ahead and reinstall Windows? Please advise.

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

Excellent!

The full erase will have removed any possibility of anything "lurking".

Please go ahead with the re-installation. I cannot foresee any problem.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 kristina1986

kristina1986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

Great. I will let you know how things turn out.

Thanks again!

Kristina.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users