Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SWTOR and Me

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FeliceErrdegahr

FeliceErrdegahr

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

I apologize if there was already a post for this in the forums and I managed to miss it...

So, as the topic says, I have snagged myself a copy of SWTOR (digital download).

This game has been driving me up a wall for two days, now. Starting up the launcher and logging in goes fine, but the moment I hit the play button, the screen flashes black for the barest of moments before the application crashes back to desktop. No errors, nothing. A check of the task manager reveals that nothing is even running when it comes to TOR as the launcher automatically shuts down the moment the game is launched. Ran a check through the launcher logs, each time I have attempted to start the game has resulted in a "successful" start up. I've gone through the motions that were listed in the help forums for TOR and that were recommended by the tech support staff (Starting up the game via the Origin Client, starting the game via the start menu, starting the game via the desktop icon, downloading the setup from the site and installing over the Origin download, running the launcherfix, running the game windowed instead of full screen, bypassing the launcher and running the game from the .exe, giving the game .exe administrator permissions, running everything under administrator, checking my firewall, checking my windows firewall *which was off*, deleting the entries for the game from my firewalls and attempting to run the game again, turning off my firewall and antivirus, yaddda yadda) and as you can see from my posting here about it, nothing has worked. I have run CCleaner and defragged, restarted and restarted again, checked my registry, almost everything. ...Everything short of uninstalling, attempting to wipe it from my registry, and sitting through a long reinstall... I really hope it doesn't have to come down to that.

Is anyone else having this problem on this site or am I the only Speshul Ray of Sunshyn when it comes to this?

~*Felice*~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Abseil

Abseil

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

Are you useing the force?

Sry... I had to ask. This post was painful to read. I can't tell you how many $50 games I have that were unplayable. Not because I couldn't get them to run, but because they sucked so bad. I call it the $50 turd in a Box. WoW... not being able to get it to run at all is even worse. You have done a lot already but I did notice 1 thing that you didn't mention... Drivers.
Make sure you have the latest Video drivers and sound drivers. You probably already did and just forgot to mention it.

If you are useing Nvidia drivers, this may be worth exploreing.

Ultimate Nvidia Driver Guide for Uninstalling and Installing driversets

Due to the significant changes in Nvidia driver packages over the last year and the surrounding confusion in how these changes have effected installing and uninstalling Nvidia Drivers, a clear outline of what those changes are and how it effects users has become extremely important.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1174372

Good Luck... I'm going to get on the SWTOR forums and see if I can't find something that will help. It looks like you have scoured them pretty good.

Abseil

#3 FeliceErrdegahr

FeliceErrdegahr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

Thank you for responding to me, hun.

Yes, all drivers are up to date, everything is running as it should... Save for the game. Thank you for reminding me to mention them.

~*Felice*~

#4 Abseil

Abseil

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:24 AM

I found this obscure fix... maybe worth a try

"I found a solution on another page, Install or update/reinstall Apple QuicTime!!! It worked for me! The game uses quicktime codex for all video, and therefore the game crashes on launching intro"

abseil

#5 FeliceErrdegahr

FeliceErrdegahr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:55 AM

I found this obscure fix... maybe worth a try

"I found a solution on another page, Install or update/reinstall Apple QuicTime!!! It worked for me! The game uses quicktime codex for all video, and therefore the game crashes on launching intro"

abseil

Thank you for replying,

That's something I had not thought of or even heard about! I will definitely give that a try when I get back home, thank you so much for posting this!

~*Felice*~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users