Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about Microsoft Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 notinfallible

notinfallible

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

I have automatic updates set to 'notify but do not download' and when I restart computer I'm getting notified of 2 updates. I am a skeptic by nature so I always go to the actual Microsoft Update website to see coincides with what the little pop up deal is telling me. Well the Micrusoft Update website says there are 0 critical updates.

Does anybody have any idea on why this would happen?
The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

They may be non-critical.
What are KB numbers?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 notinfallible

notinfallible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

I'm really on a roll today.

From the pop up update thing, I unchecked both and them and now I cannot find them. I did this before I came to this site.

Is there someway beside the restore hidden updates to see what they were? Because they are not in the restore hidden updates.

Edited by notinfallible, 13 January 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

Well the Micrusoft Update website says there are 0 critical updates

The Microsoft website will not identify Windows users who are directly downloading updates but is configured in your own operating system. It is always better to choose Automatic(recommended). Checkmarked this option and most likely on next interval session, Windows will notify you again for any available updates.

Tekken

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:47 PM

It is always better to choose Automatic(recommended)

I disagree. It depends on a user.
'notify but do not download' is what I use as well as I want full control over my computer.

As for those two updates, wait until next month updates and they may pop-up again.
I wouldn't lose my sleep over non-critical updates.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 notinfallible

notinfallible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

Thank you both for the replies. I'll try not lose any sleep.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

'notify but do not download' is what I use as well as I want full control over my computer.

Yes, in Windows 7 the Automatic option feature, the user is being notified and would choose/checkmark only from available updates listed which the user would likely download. They are also categorize as critical or non-critical. I think this is where it differs from XP automatic option.

Tekken

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

the user is being notified and would choose/checkmark only from available updates listed which the user would likely download

This is incorrect.

Posted Image

Windows XP alos has critical and non-critical updates.
Critical ones are prechecked.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

in Windows 7 the Automatic option feature, the user is being notified and would choose/checkmark only from available updates listed which the user would likely download

Posted Image
This is from a Win 7 notification of available update(s) from the Control panel. But is similar when notified from the system tray. I have to uninstall the last installed update to get a screenshot of what I mean is different in Win 7 to XP. But the optional and critical updates are similarly categorize when notified.
Posted Image
If you click on update available from previous shot, you will open an option to select updates you want to install. Depending on how many are available during Windows will notify the user.
Posted Image
If you tick on any update and hit ok, you will see as shown above.
Posted Image
Its also on Automatic feature but most likely is not applicable or same with Win XP.

Edited by jhayz, 14 January 2012 - 09:44 PM.

Tekken

#10 notinfallible

notinfallible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:46 PM

in Windows 7 the Automatic option feature, the user is being notified and would choose/checkmark only from available updates listed which the user would likely download

Posted Image
This is from a Win 7 notification of available update(s) from the Control panel. But is similar when notified from the system tray. I have to uninstall the last installed update to get a screenshot of what I mean is different in Win 7 to XP. But the optional and critical updates are similarly categorize when notified.
Posted Image
If you click on update available from previous shot, you will open an option to select updates you want to install. Depending on how many are available during Windows will notify the user.
Posted Image
If you tick on any update and hit ok, you will see as shown above.
Posted Image
Its also on Automatic feature but most likely is not applicable or same with Win XP.

I'm guessing ^^^this^^^ doesn't apply to me since I use XP?

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

It is how you would want as a user to Windows notify and handle your updates. As Broni said, if you want full control, use the 3rd option which is notify but not download. I have toggled between those options previously but certainly its a choice of how you want these updates keep you convenient. There is also a duration when to check for updates only in Automatic(see last screenshot)similar to XP. Win 7 has improved these notification settings since XP. So I think the option to be use is as suggested by Broni or check all options except for turning off.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users