Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to uninstall and remove Office Starter 2010 but

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Hi,
I have recently bought a new laptop computer after my desktop died, too much work!! The new one came with MS Office 2010 starter pre-installed. However, I already have and have already used, on the old computer, MS Office Professional 2010 which I need for work.

So far, I have uninstalled the starter version and I installed my copy of MS Office Professional 2010 on it with the relevant serial. To this point everything seemed to be going well. I transferred over the documents from the external HDD to their own folder and also this went well. NOW the problem starts when I try to open a word or Excel file. If I double click to open one of these files, instead of the file opening a Window opens up saying that the MS Office product is not installed and gives these three possible options:
1, "I have already purchased Office 2010 - ACTIVATE";
2, "Go online to purchase Office 2010 - GO ONLINE" or
3, "Use Office Starter 2010 - USE"
If I first open the adapt Office program and choose "OPEN" from the menu and open the file that way it opens OK.

What can I do? It's a bit of a pain having to open the Office program first and then the file instead of just double clicking it.
I have all the latest updates for Windows 7 and MS Office Professional 2010 (this updated shortly after installing)

If it's of any use I have these programs in the Installed Programs:
1. Microsoft Office (Already Installed)
2. Microsoft Office Click-to-Run 2010 (Already Installed)
3. Microsoft Office Outlook Connector (I installed to transfer set up Hotmail with Outlook)
4. Microsoft Office Professional 2010 (My copy)

My computer has Windows 7 SP1 64bit, 6GB RAM and 640GB HDD and Intel i7 Processor
Thanks for any help with this.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

The only thing I can think of is your Pro Office 2010 did not install correctly and their might be part of the old office still on your computer. If it was my computer I would uninstall both offices again using Revo, a free program. Then I would check using another free program called Search Everything to make sure all was gone. Then install you Office 2010 again.
Before doing this I recommend waiting for others to reply to your post. Their might be a easier way to fix you problem that I'm not aware of.

#3 Tiffie

Tiffie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

Perhaps this page will help?
My link

#4 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:47 AM

Hello,

It appears that Microsoft Office Starter 2010 may not have been completely uninstalled. If it still has an entry in the Add or Remove programs I would uninstall it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980557

I'd agree with Layback Bear to uninstall all office programs to be able to perform a clean install. You can also use the Microsoft Fix It found in method 2 here to remove all Microsoft office 2010 programs and then install them again.

Other than that, I couldn't find any easier solution.

Edited by Commander Gman, 29 April 2012 - 12:48 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#5 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:05 AM

Thanks for the replies even if the topic is oldish.
The problem was that there was some entries in the registry which weren't being deleted. There were no signs of it in the "Add/Remove Programs"
I used CCleaner to remove these traces.

Thanks for the replies.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

I agree with uinstalling also at our work we had a similar issue where Office 2010 did not auto activate online so try this http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/onenote-help/activate-office-2010-programs-HA010354227.aspx#_Toc272916427
MCP
MSDST

#7 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the replies so far.
As I stated in my last post, the problem was that there were some things from the Office starter left in the registry which seemed to make the computer think I wanted to activate the starter program and these were not deleted by the uninstall program.
I had already un-installed the starter one, rebooted twice and then installed my copy of Office Prof 2010. Despite this, due to those entries in the registry, when I started my copy of Office, it kept wanting me to register the starter one.

The problem was resolved by un-installing my Office, rebooting, running CCleaner, rebooting and then installing my Office Pro 2010.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Edited by English Teacher, 30 April 2012 - 08:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users