Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Address For Local Network

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Happy01

Happy01

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:50 PM

On my local area connection status, I receive a window reporting connection status. It says:

"You might not be able to access the internetor some network sources. This problem ocurred because the network did not asign a network address to the computer." Please tell me where to find this network address and where to install it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:38 PM

The network address the message is talking about, is assigned to your computer from a DHCP server, which may be a router or a computer (not always). Reasons for this failure ranges from faulty cables/connections, to software issues, and, in the case of a wireless connections, even interferences.

What operating system is installed, and how is your computer connecting to the internet?

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:57 PM

What operating system are you using, router, NIC, DSL or Cable, name of service?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Happy01

Happy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:45 PM

What operating system are you using, router, NIC, DSL or Cable, name of service?

XP Home, Belkin 5 port switch (F5D5130-5), dialup internet on two individual machines (not thru network), 4 computers each ethernet wired to switch.

System was fine before as I was using both the network switch for three computers and a wireless switch for one computer. Had some security problems and decided to eliminate the wireless router. After running all the cables into the five port, I have had problems as described.

ideas?

thanks. :thumbsup:

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:17 PM

Unplug the router and turn off all the computers. The router will have a small whole in the back with a reset button. With router unplugged hold down the reset button for one minute. Plug in the router. After one minute turn on each computer. This should allow your computers to be assigned anIP address.
If this does not work go to Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig /release
When the prompt comes back type ipconfig /renew

#6 Happy01

Happy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:40 PM

If this does not work go to Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig /release
When the prompt comes back type ipconfig /renew

Did the above as instructed. "Aquiring network address" started, then the same message as I originally posted comes back. :thumbsup:

In the command field it says: "An error ocurred while renewing interface Local area connection 2 : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:52 PM

Have you ajusted your setting in your router? It sounds like your router is setup for Static IP addresses.

#8 Happy01

Happy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:17 AM

Have you ajusted your setting in your router? It sounds like your router is setup for Static IP addresses.

Actually, the router has no adjustments directly, but the Belkin software does ask for a choice of static or dynamic. The network is made up of three Win98's and two XP's. Again all working previously but I decided to wire the former wireless laptop by including it on the same switch as the other wired. I only used the Belkin software to configure since the XPs do it automatically (or so I thought). All workgroup names are the same. Now, two 98's only see each other and the two XPs only see each other in the network. I think somehow disconnecting the wireless router caused a breakdown in the network.

thoughts?

#9 Happy01

Happy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:20 AM

Also, one XP is used as a server for a program that the others all use. The Win98s can use the program on the server. odd? Could there be a mapping? (or re-mapping issue)

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users