- Programs running do not show up in my taskbar; I have to alt+tab to cycle through them.
- When I click on the Start menu, my most commonly used programs do not display. The window appears empty. I have to open the "All Programs" menu to find anything.
- When I minimize programs, I can sometimes see them disappearing into the upper left-hand corner of my computer monitor. It's as if my real taskbar has been shrunk and hidden in the upper left-hand corner of my screen, and the one on the bottom is an imitation.
- The programs in the bottom-right corner of my taskbar (like McAfee) do not open when I click on them there. I have to open them through my Start menu by looking them up under "All Programs."
- Something is definitely running on my computer that should not be and slowing it down. I am an online gamer and I'm usually running with smooth FPS and low latency, but since this started, my game has been freezing for just a few seconds every 30-60 seconds or so.
- Quick Restore is not available. Either my computer has not been automatically making back-up restore points, or this virus has destroyed them or otherwise hindered my access to them. (This computer is only about 5 months old and I've never tried restoring it.)
- The computer won't shut down or restart properly. Once it gets to the green "Shutting Down" screen, it stays there indefinitely, and I have to manually power it off. (I'm using Windows 7)
Worst of all, anti-virus software seems unable to run. I have McAfee and I downloaded MalWareBytes to try and remedy this problem. McAfee is able to get through a Quick Scan, but it finds nothing with that. When I try a full scan, it gets stuck at 4%. MalWareBytes is about the same, only it's unable to perform either a quick scan or a full scan.
I could do a factory restore, but I'd like to avoid that if I can. I could also take it in to my university's IT department as they do free virus removal for students. They were able to remove an incredibly malicious keylogger from my husband's laptop last year. However, that would mean having my comp out of commission for a few days, so I'd also like to avoid that if I could.
Edited by Calmseer, 13 January 2012 - 04:01 PM.