Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Delete Empty Folder

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 rokittman

rokittman

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:35 PM

I recently did a backup of a data partition to an external drive using Windows drag and drop. It took several attempts because not all the files and folders would transfer completely. When I was finished, I did a file by file check to be sure everything was copied and also deleted several items I no longer needed.

Buried deep in my Steam folder ~ an online gaming platform ~ I noticed a folder named CookedPC that was empty. This was the last folder in a series of subfolders that were ALL empty and showing 0kb in size. I tried to delete it, but it kept saying access denied and that the folder was NOT empty. I've tried renaming it, moving it, changing the extension, deleting it in Safe mode and even used Unlocker. NOTHING will remove this folder. Unlocker claimed the file was deleted, but it still existed and returned a system tray popup saying the file was corrupt. I did manage to remove all the other folders between Steam and CookedPC by moving CookedPC to the Steam folder.

MalwareBytes, SpyBot, MS Security Essentials, Ad-Aware, CCleaner, all show no infections. Is there a way to permanently remove this folder?

Thank you,
- Dean -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

Have you tried simply removing Steam?

#3 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

You could try using a tool in Malwarebytes to see if that works.

Open Malwarebytes and click on the "More Tools" tab then use FileASSASSIN.

#4 ShadowFiend

ShadowFiend

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

Killbox is a great program that could help you with this problem.

#5 rokittman

rokittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

Steam is a gaming platform client. So removing that would involve deleting/reinstalling over 57GB of program files, profile settings, game downloads and save points. Plus, the CookedPC folder cannot be removed by conventional means. There is no reason to believe it could be removed by deleting the root directory. Removing Steam would be like cutting off an arm to remove a hangnail... not an option.

And neither MalwareBytes or Killbox could remove this folder. This is quite a tough nut to crack.

- Dean -

#6 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:08 AM

I am surprised Malwarebytes File Assassin didn't get it. There are some tools I use in Malware removal that would shift it but against the rules to use outside of the Malware forum.

Have you tried taking ownership of the file?

Take Ownership of a file/folder in XP

If that does not work then this should: How to delete undeletable files

Edited by mark1956, 15 January 2012 - 06:16 AM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

I know what Steam is, and if you remove Steam the uninstaller will remove all of Steam. You can simply back up your SteamApps folder then move it back over to prevent downloading a lot of data and rebuilding configs.

#8 rokittman

rokittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

Mark,

MalwareBytes FileASSASSIN will not remove a folder, only a file. And when I follow the instructions in your link, there is no Security tab to view when looking at the folders Properties. I am the only user of this computer and the administrator. So I am already the owner ~ and creator ~ of every folder and file on this hard drive.

cryptodan,

Removing Steam does not work. Any folder that contains the CookedPC folder cannot be deleted. The Steamapps folder could be relocated and reinserted if it were possible to delete Steam. This is still not an option I would choose even if it were possible. Besides the Steamapps folder, there are dozens of other folders that contain gaming information that will not be reproduced if Steam is deleted and reinstalled. I have several Steam accounts under different user names that all reside in the Steam directory. So this has become quite large. I find it not very cost effective to delete the entire collection of Steam files to eliminate a single folder weighing in at 0KB.

I know it sounds petty to agonize over what appears to be an empty and useless folder. But mysteriously unremovable items on my hard drive make me a little uneasy. Plus, I don't like being told what I can and CAN'T remove from my machine.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:47 AM

It might be a component associated with Steam or any applications, games, patch, domain or profile even if the file is located or copied to any storage.

Tekken

#10 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:05 AM

Did you try the second link in my last post?

What you could try is to PM a member of the Malware staff as they could instruct you to use other software that will remove anything.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:49 AM

Did CookedPC come part of a game?

In Windows XP go to Control Panel and Select Folder Options go to View and uncheck use simple file sharing.

This will allow you to view the security tab.

#12 rokittman

rokittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

jhayz,

Not sure if it's a component of Steam. Funny thing though, when I do a search of my main hard drive, this folder doesn't come up. It seems to be only on the external drive. So I'm not really concerned about it, and it doesn't seem to have any other affect on my system. So I guess I'll leave it be. It just bothers me that there are files I cannot do with as I please.

Mark,

I did try both links on your post. But every instruction there had the same result. The file will not delete and it also shows me and the Administrator and owner of the folder. I think I will PM an admin here to see if they can help. Gringo recently cleaned my system of a very nasty virus, so this should be a piece of cake.

And cryptodan,

I have no idea if CookedPC came with Steam or one of it's games. Never noticed it before I undertook this backup. And like I said, it isn't on the hard drive now, only on the external backup. I also changed the Folder Options to allow the Security tab to show. Again, all listed Administrators have all rights.

- Dean -

Edited by rokittman, 17 January 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#13 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

I don't like being told what I can and CAN'T remove from my machine.

then be careful what you install on your computer .lol

it seems it is tied to a game or even different game something to do with game modding .
some discussion here about the use of that folder .
http://pl.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/25430-need-help-with-cookedpc-folder/

good luck

Edited by caperjac, 17 January 2012 - 05:54 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#14 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

there may be a hidden file in the folder, therefore the folder will not delete. check "folder options" in control panel.

#15 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

I think I will PM an admin here to see if they can help. Gringo recently cleaned my system of a very nasty virus, so this should be a piece of cake.

That will be your easiest solution, Gringo will know what to use and it should be a over in a flash :thumbup2: .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users