Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

opening/downloading a document failure

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

I have some documents from last year that I could use rather than reinvent the wheel but for some reason when i try to open them it flashes on the screen like its opening and then NOTHING. :woot:

I dont know what its doing or whether the failure is in the program or my computer or me.

Any suggestions for solution or what the problem is? Thanks.B)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

Where are these documents stored, and what are you using to open them?

#3 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

Where are these documents stored, and what are you using to open them?

They are stored on my hard drive and I'm trying to open them with Open Office. Not sure what's going on really I'm still trying to make it "fly" although I think I might as well just take the short way and reinvent the wheel.:dance:

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

Can you upload the document to http://www.rapidshare.com and I see if it I can open it.

#5 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

I guess I am clueless .. I have heard of RapidShare but not really familiar with what its does or who can use it. I shall experiment with it and see what happens. Thanks.

Is there anything that I need to use RapidShare or any way it works better?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

Since you are using Open Office and I have Office 2010 I could potentially open it and save it in a format for you to use.

#7 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

That would be very nice of you to do so. Let me see what I can do.

Right now - I just tried to create an account on RapidShare which, amazingly enough, in some ways does the same thing / problem that caused me to post this problem.

I click on Create Account but nothing happens. I stay on the same page. Curious - I wonder if the two are related? That I try to open a file and can't and that I try to open the link to get an account on Rapid Share and can't do that either.

I have been going to many different places on the internet and I don't recall having this problem recently with any other site. Hmmmmm?

This is the way this entire fiasco has gone - I have a problem - try to work around it which gives me hope - but then why I try to use the alternative another problem develops needing another "work around" or solution. I seem to be getting in deeper and deeper. I have all the problems but no answers.

I don't mean that you are creating a problem, it is a continuation of a "trend" I see developing. One thing leads to another. And using open office is one of the work around solutions that isn't working. If we have "fail-safe" against a hazard all my fail-safes are failing, lol.

the IMMEDIATE FIRE has been extinguished so I am not in such a PANIC for solutions. I'm going to try again to get onto Rapid Share. Could there be a security setting I'm unaware of that interferes with Rapid Share? IF SO it would be nice if my computer gave me some kind of notice that its reading and not just ignoring me.

I have been on the computer too much lately I'm starting to give it human capabilities.:clapping::crazy:Anyway nice of you to offer to assist Be careful though, the "hex" could rub off on you! The latest internet virus ' A HEX!.

#8 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

I suggest using http://www.mediafire.com to do your upload. It's a bit simpler to use and doesn't require an account.

Edited by LucheLibre, 13 January 2012 - 06:53 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users