Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Adam23

Adam23

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

I have about 5 Gateway computers in the lab department for a hospital that are the same model. I keep having an issue where in my opinion the motherboard keeps getting fried and replacing it fixes the problem but I can't figure out what is making me have to replace one ever few months.

I will get a call saying the computer won't turn on and come to find that the computer is in an endless reboot mode that won't let you even get to the bios screen. The only way to shut it off is to pull the plug (the power button is unresponsive) and the cd drive keeps lighting up like when you first turn on the computer. Like I said replacing the motherboard is expensive since it is an older model ($169) and we need it next day which tacks on another $60 so around $250 every few months. I suggested having one on hand and just getting new computers but we aren't the most profitable.

I've put the computers on UPS's and still one of them went. I haven't read up on any bugs with this motherboard so it seems like it's just me but I can't be sure. Any ideas what's causing this?

Computer
Gateway E-4620S
Motherboard Gateway 4006237r
Intel Cero 2 Duo
4gb Ram
Windows XP

Edited by Adam23, 13 January 2012 - 11:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

Just curious...what makes you think that the motherboards...needed to be replaced?

Don't you have backups that you can restore?

Did you check the hard drive for functionality?

Worst case...why not just do a clean install of Windows...to see if it something less than a hardware problem?

Louis

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

If it does turn out to be a hardware concern, remember you are working with a bottom of the barrel ECS board (not that all ECS boards are bad), conmbined with a cheap power supply.

If it was me, I would test the power supply to see if it is out of spec and causing a problem. I would even swap out PSUs if time/budget allowed.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Adam23

Adam23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

Just curious...what makes you think that the motherboards...needed to be replaced?

Don't you have backups that you can restore?

Did you check the hard drive for functionality?

Worst case...why not just do a clean install of Windows...to see if it something less than a hardware problem?

Louis

Yes the hard drive is fine. Replacing the motherboard always fixes the problem and once it's replaced I boot up the computer like normal with everything on the hard drive intact, so wouldn't that suggest the motherboard is what was the problem?

Also I can't do a clean reinstall or anything because I am not able to boot the hard drive, I can't even get to the bios screen. Once the computer is plugged in it powers up, i don't push the button in or anything it does it by itself. No video is fed to the monitor and i can hear it rebooting itself. (When I say reboot I don't mean getting to windows xp and then it reboots, imagine pressing the power button and seeing the cd drive light up to initiate startup after 10seconds it stops and does it again)

@dpunisher I've used my power supply tester and everything checks normal on all the computers that keep having this issue.

My only thoughts now are surges through the modem on this computer, a switch surge, or the edgport usb ports they're using to hook their lab equipment up to the computers.

Edited by Adam23, 13 January 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#5 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

Unless your power supply tester can put 300W of load on the PSU, it's not going to tell you what you need to know. All they do is check continuity.

The situation you're describing sounds like bad PSUs. I wouldn't be surprised if the building's power is wobbly and shortened the PSU's lifespans.

Also, if you haven't already, keep an eye on internal temps. Office PCs are often shoved into small spaces and cannot cool themselves.

Edited by LucheLibre, 13 January 2012 - 06:31 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users