Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win98se

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stickman

stickman

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:03 PM

I just finished removing the VBS.Gedza .A (worm/virus)and worm.vb.AN and the w32/killAV.V@troj.
Needless to say it was quite infected (1400 )or so files and folders.

That being said,now I that I have doubled check with Spybot search & destroy, Lavasoft Ad-awareSE , Housecall, Panda, Bit-defender and McAfee Stinger it all seems to be clear of virus and malware.

Now on boot up it tells me that it cannot find the tow following files C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM\winmgd.win and mouse_configurator.win specified in win.ini file make sure the path and file name are correct and that all required libraries are available.(but mouse works quite fine?)

Also I have no sound even after trying to reload drivers, but the most important is that my MSCONFIG file cannot be found.

Boot time is a little slower(lol)

I am using this for my computer:

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
Upgrade using Full OEM CD /SrcDir=D:\WIN98 /IQ /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
Uptime: 0:00:20:51
Normal mode

AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon™ XP
512MB RAM
83% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (36059MB free)
Available space on drive C: 36059MB of 57225MB (FAT32)
Field Value
Motherboard ID 08/04/2004-nVidia-nForce-A7N8XXC-00

Hoping you can help me with this .

Greg

Edited by stickman, 10 February 2006 - 02:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:38 PM

winmgd.win was added by the VBS_GEDZA.A worm and mouse_configurator.win was added by the GAGGLE.E worm. Registry entries for both were added to your startups. When Windows loads, it looks for any files associated with registry entries for programs that are set to run at startup. If the file was removed but not the associated registry entry, Windows will display an error message indicating that the file was not found.

You need to remove these registry entries so Windows stops searching for these programs when it loads.

msconfig allows you to enable/disable auto-start programs but it does not allow you to completely remove an entry from the list. To do this you need a cleanup utility or startup manager like:

MSConfig Cleanup: http://www.get-in-control.com/msconfig-cleanup/
STARTER v5.6.2.0: http://codestuff.cjb.net/

A replacement file for msconfig can be downloaded from: http://www.merijn.org/winfiles.html#msconfig
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 stickman

stickman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 02:24 AM

Well I seem to have gotten rid of the annoying pop ups at start up,also have my msconfig file back in working order but I still don't have sound and still a little slow on boot up probably missed a couple of things that got messed up in virus /worm removal. I will keep on trying, I'll just have to reinstall drivers again for sound see if that wont do the trick. Thanks for all of the help.

Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users