Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DESK TOP ICONS

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

HI,Is there any reason that my desk top icons do not light up at start up,but will when in safemode,thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:10 AM

Is there any reason that my desk top icons do not light up at start up

Hi -
Do you mean "show up" rather than "light up" or something else ??
Are any Icons showing on the desktop or just a background picture ??

Thank You -

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

HI.noknojon.the icons on startup come up but half of them are like white sheets of paper,the rest in their usual colors.
But when i go into safe mode they come up all the colors that they were orginally.
PC will not go any farther.i may have enough money soon to get external HD and reinstall WINXP.
This may not be the right forum to ask this but here goe's.
If i get externalHD will i be able to download everything from PC without being able to to connect to internet.
If i have enough money i maybe able to get new PC and if i get new PC with a 2TB HD can i partition it and put all of the
stuff downloaded WINXP on second 2TB HD and can i also pick and choose what i want or need,THANK'S

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:36 AM

You can backup all your documents without internet connection. Another option is use blank DVD disk while awaiting for the time to purchase an external drive. Please post the computer model/specs for a better picture. The amount of RAM module installed could possibly be the problem.

but half of them are like white sheets of paper,

Have you tried refreshing the desktop?

Tekken

#5 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

HI,I just ran out of dvd disks. MY PC is a GATEWAY 4010 MEDIA EDTION,2047 OF RAM. On refreshing PC is that where you are on the internet,if so not
going to happen as i can not connect to internet. I have tried system restore did not work,safe mode did not work,thinking maybe baseball bat might
be next option. on the cd's it would take i believe about 23 disks,PC can do DL disk's.
I checked tutorials and how to backup system but will have to make disk's off of the PC that i am able to use,hopefully the PC that needs work done to
it that PC will reconize disk when installed,THANKS

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:25 AM

On refreshing PC is that where you are on the internet

No, I mean the desktop where icons are displayed. Right-click and click refresh or press F5. Can you replace the shortcut icons by deleting them and just replace
them again. Are there any changes done prior to this behavior?

Tekken

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

Icon issue:

You can usually fix this manually by deleting the iconcache.db file and have windows rebuild it, but an easier way may be to use this small program: Repair Icons.

Regards,
Brooks

#8 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

Well i do not about real changes,the only thing that i can think of is a download of ADOBE. Also when i have turned on PC the icons are not
in the same place as they used to be,also one time when they came up they spun around in circle. the only major thing i have added was ZONEALARM.
When i go into safemode it is not the same,safemode will not let me reset a restore point and when it doe's i get a (rundll32.exe).
It is like somebody took a stick and stirred my PC up. I may have enough money soon to buy a x-ternal HD and reinstall WINXP,do not want to but may have
will try your suggestions and see what,Thanks for all the help.

#9 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

Well i remember if you reinstall WINXP you can lose all that is on your PC,but i thought that the OS was on the D-DRIVE,if so is this not seperate of
the C-DRIVE or have i misunderstood how a PC work,s. I had a problem with BSOD a few months ago,found out it was connected my NVIDIA video card updated card
and problem went away,i still think a lead pencil and paper is alot easier,thank,s

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

download of ADOBE

This could be the problem. The default file association for certain program. Are you running Win XP?

Tekken

#11 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

HI,My PC is a WINXP,SP3,2047MB RAM,GATEWAY 4010,MEDIA EDITION. But the OS is i believe on the D-DRIVE and the C-DRIVE has all of your files and such on it
so i am at a lost as to why i can not reinstall OS using the disk i have that came with PC,supposedly if you reinstall OS it can wipe out all of the rest of
stuff on PC.
What i did before it really went bad i ran at least 3 malware,virius programs and they all came back and this took about 18hrs to do and i was unhooked from
the internet while doing so,i know this getting to be a real pain,but maybe excuse to buy new PC as this one is border line system,but i also would like to
keep working to solution of problems for the knowledge,right now i can not get to safe mode and to browser,THANKS

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:42 AM

So you are trying to reinstall your windows system because of an infection?

Tekken

#13 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

HI,I would like to know if i can reinstall WINXP OS system without losing all of data that has been put on this PC over the years,THANK'S

#14 Linda.Christ

Linda.Christ

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:29 AM

Have you install any anti-virus software in your PC?

#15 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

HI,I would like to know if i can reinstall WINXP OS system without losing all of data that has been put on this PC over the years,THANK'S

That depends on the nature of the disks that came with your computer (post #11).

If the disks (usually DVDs) contain an image file of your system or if you created the disks when you first received the computer, you would probably loose both partitons, plus your data during the restore.

On the other hand, if one is labelled: Windows Media Edition Installation CD and the other Software/drivers CD, it is possible. You would have to know (not guess) which partiton was for the system and which for data. Any software that you installed after you initially received the computer would have to be reinstalled, even if it was installed into the data partition. That's because the registry on the freshly installed system wouldn't have any record of these old programs.

My Recommendation: If it isn't worth loosing, it should be backed up, period; whether you are considering reinstalling or not.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users