Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help diagnosing maleware problems.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cephalon

Cephalon

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

Okay I made a post in the hardware section of a problem from booting off USB, but now I realize there are a lot more problems with this Laptop than that.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic437778.html/page__gopid__2551695#entry2551695 the first post explains a lot of my troubles.

So some background information on the issue. First I would like to say thank you for you time and your help. I appreciate all the help I have received on Bleepingcomputers.com (BEST PLACE ON THE NET)

So my friends laptop has A LOT of issues, and out of my group of friends I am considered the PC WIZ, (mostly because of you guys) The Laptop in question is a Sony Vaio VGN series... Its opperating system is Windows XP SP3. The CD/DVD drive on the machine does not work, it cant recognize any cd/dvd I put in it. Because originally we wanted to wipe the machine and re-install windows 7 (preferably) or Vista or even XP (I have all the discs) So I went into Bios and enabled it to Boot from USB device, I checked my flash drive on 3 other PC's (2 which are Sony Vaio) and 1 desktop, (alienware) and it booted no problem from USB, But on this Laptop (the one in question) it says Missing opperating system. I made a post in the hardware section for that issue. I decided to go back to the Virus problem and Then I will re-post in the hardware section to try and fix the disc.

Sorry if this is confusing, I somehow always seem to make it more confusing than it is.

So the Maleware issues, Well when he gave me the Laptop last night it was infected with XP Security Tool 2010, I found this guide http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-vista-2010 and removed those Viruses accordingly. Ran Malewarebytes and it couldnt find anything last night. I tried to CHKDSK to see if the C drive contained bad sectors, and it said It would on restart, I restarted the Laptop and it says chkdsk can not access the volume Windows is restarting, and now everytime the PC restarts it comes up with that, (tries to chkdsk everytime on restart and cant) So today I ran malewarebytes again and it found 2 Viruses both called exploit.drop.3P and exploit.drop.7 After reading the forums on Malewarebytes it said they are false positives, Malewarebytes said it had to restart to finish cleaning and the chkdsk thing came up. Then when I finally got back into windows xp (running abnormally slow) I tried another Full Scan with Malewarebytes and after 15 minutes it said Malewarebytes encountered an error and needs to close, So it wont open, I dont know if its Viruses that wont let me boot from USB or if its bad sectors on the disc.... WE just want to wipe it so we can start fresh, but its really really hard. I can not get Malewarebytes to work now, I havent tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, I dont know if that would make a difference. The laptop boots up tried to chkdsk then says it can not access the Volume, The CD Tray doesnt work and I can not get it to boot off USB, Even after Enabling the External Boot in Bios, and its infected with Viruses. So I thought I had cleaned the Viruses out for him but 2 more pop up. Could the Viruses be stopping it from booting off USB?? I mean there are so many issues with this poor laptop I dont knw where to begin. He is not paying me or anything I am doing this because he is like my best friend (college dorm mate) All he wants it for is school, no games or even movies or anything, I already backed all of his important documents on my External Hard Drive. SO i guess the first thing to do is get the Maleware off then address the Booting option. I would like to wipe it and re-install an operating system.

Malewarebytes says it encountered an error and needs to close, could that be from the Laptop trying to chkdsk everytime I start it, like it couldnt remove the selected Viruses. Anyways I hope I addressed the Issues in the right forum. All i want to do is wipe it, But if I cant wipe it then I need to get the Viruses off of it. His internet security is called Symantec. Thank You in advance for any help you guys have given me. Lucklily all my PC's work great!!! Thank to you guys, BleepingComputer has helped me with problem after problem. Way better than Geek Squad or any PC repair place, You guys have saved me over $400 by now, Thank you!! I will have this Laptop in my Posession for awhile and I will be home all weekend, I wont disappear for a month lol, Ill be around all week to work on this machine.

I hope I posted this in the right spot. Thank You Again!!

Viruses on the machine in past 24 hours XP Security Tool 2010 Virus and now exploit.drop.3P and exploit.drop.7. I would like to wipe it, but I dont know how with out the CD/DVD drive and when booting from USB it says 'Missing Operating System' And now chkdsk on restart every time and every time is says cannot access the Volume. I am lost for words, Thank You again for all your help your experts have given me, in the past and future and in the NOW! TY!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

On a side not the CD/DVD tray hasn't been functional for some time. But I can not get the PC to boot using a Wondows 7 flash drive..... The Viuses need to be the first thing I remove before I try to find out why the laptop will not boot from USB. Or why the laptop can not and will not chkdsk. Thank You guys again for all the time you have spent with me.

#3 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

I have to step out for about an hour But I will check back tonight when I get back, Like I said I have all weekend to troubleshoot this machine. Thank You again for your help. I hope this post is in the right forum. Thank You Bleepingcomputer for you guys are my heroes!!!!!

#4 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:24 AM

You try running Rkill(if the virus is stopping you from running programs or what not Rkill should stop them) first then Malwarebytes? Also run SuperAntiSpyware. Also get TDSS killer from kaspersky for rootkit changes, a lot of these new viruses I see running around these days always has one of those tagging along it seems. Hope you get your problem fixed.

#5 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:22 AM

I just wanted to update this post. I am currently getting help in the Hardware Forum and we are making a lot of progress. Thank you! AustrAlien is very Helpful, he Rocks!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:24 AM

Topic closed per OP request.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users