Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't boot to run CHKDSK

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 alliep

alliep

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

Hello,
I turned my HP Pavillion laptop on earlier this week and Windows never loaded. It stops at a black screen. I researched online on how to fix this and this is what I've done so far:
I do not have the Windows Disk that came with the laptop so I downloaded RC.ISO through CDBurnerXP Pro. I inserted that disk into the laptop and set the PC to run from the CD as the primary boot device. When the PC boots, the first several screens load and before it gives me the option to run Recovery Console I am given the Blue Screen with the following error:
STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF78DA63C, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Any help would be appreciated!

Allie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:21 AM

What is the model number of your HP? Does the laptop's BIOS recognize the hard drive?

Edited by LucheLibre, 13 January 2012 - 12:27 AM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

Model dv6-2151cl
Windows 7 Home Prem OA

No it doesn't recognize the hard drive. It doesnt boot up just a black screen. (that's why I had to change it to read the cd first)

Thanks
Allie

When you say recognize the hard drive what exactly do you mean?

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

Don't worry about the STOP 0x7B error when attempting to boot from the XP Recovery Console CD. That is to be expected if you have a SATA (rather than IDE type) hard drive, and it seems likely that you do.

You asked: "When you say recognize the hard drive what exactly do you mean?"
Enter the BIOS Setup Menu and you should be able to find somewhere, reference to the hard drive, perhaps referred to by brand name &/or model number. If the hard drive is not detected by BIOS, it may say something like "None" beside hard drive. Let us know what you see.

Please try loading Windows in Safe Mode (by tapping F8 on startup to get to the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then choosing Safe Mode). Success?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

Don't worry about the STOP 0x7B error when attempting to boot from the XP Recovery Console CD. That is to be expected if you have a SATA (rather than IDE type) hard drive, and it seems likely that you do.

I did not know this. Apologies. If you have a reference link to this information, would you mind including it in your next post? A cursory google search didn't pull up anything specific.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#6 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

Who am I following?? LucheLibre or AustrAlien??

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

We are both working to help you. Hopefully we are working as a complementary team to help you, and will not post any conflicting advice. Sorry if I confused you.

The forums allow input from anyone who might be able to assist: The advantage being that "two heads are often better than one". However, the advice you choose to follow is entirely your decision.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

Ok great, I will do what you all suggested this evening and report my results. Thank you both so much!!

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

No worries: Given your description "Windows never loaded. It stops at a black screen", which I am interpreting as "hangs at a black screen before it should otherwise bring up the Windows Desktop", it is quite likely that the system will start in Safe Mode (and Safe Mode with networking, which will allow you internet access while using Safe Mode).
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:37 PM

I tried to hit F8 during startup and it went straight to the black screen. Is there anyway I can post a pic of BIOS that I took for you to see?

#11 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

No worries: Given your description "Windows never loaded. It stops at a black screen", which I am interpreting as "hangs at a black screen before it should otherwise bring up the Windows Desktop", it is quite likely that the system will start in Safe Mode (and Safe Mode with networking, which will allow you internet access while using Safe Mode).

I turn the computer on, the HP logo comes up it says "Press Esc to enter the Startup Window" a cursor blinks twice in the upper left corner and the screen goes black with a "white glow" to it. I've taken a pic of it if Icould figure out how to upload into this response.

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

What menu do you see when you "Press Esc to enter the Startup Window"?

Re: posting a screenshot

How to insert an image in a forum post:

If you do not already have an image hosting web site, go to photobucket and create an account (free): Log in and upload your pic(s) .... you can make a special album to put them in if you wish.

Hover your mouse (mouse-over) the image that you wish to post: You will see some options appear below. Click on the link in the lowest option, labeled IMG code, and you will briefly see it change to "Copied". Now paste that link (it will be enclosed by "img" tags) where you want it in your post.

See also the following links:

Inserting An Image Within A Post

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot

===========

See tutorial by Grinler:
How to take and share a screen shot in Windows
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-take-and-share-a-screen-shot-in-windows/

========================
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

Posted Image

Edited by alliep, 13 January 2012 - 08:18 PM.

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

Please edit your post to read:

[IMG]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p26/allie0322_photos/laptop%20pics/photo.jpg[/IMG]

and it should then look like this:

Posted Image
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

I am looking at the two manuals that give information about the BIOS Setup Utility on your laptop, and I see nothing to indicate where you might find reference to the hard drive!

Manuals for HP Pavilion dv6-2151cl Entertainment Notebook PC
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4221497&

Setup Utility - Windows Vista and Windows 7

HP Pavilion dv6 Entertainment PC - Maintenance and Service Guide

Is it possible to scroll down the page in your screenshot? Does doing that reveal any reference to the hard drive?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users