Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD Drive has disappeared!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sunnyAZ

sunnyAZ

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:56 PM

The other day I went to put in a CD to install a game and when I pressed the button, nothing happened, the drive will not open. I have no idea when it stopped working.

Someone suggested to go to the device manager, and try to "scan for changes" to see if the computer will fix it. However, there is no longer a category for CD/DVD drives in the device manager to even click on. It's just not on the list. I tried "show hidden devices" and it still did not appear.

How can I get my drive working again?

I don't think it's a bad drive. This is a new computer and I am having several other problems as well. They may all be related.
-Right click takes 2 minutes to open the shortcut menu
-When I reboot I get a black screen with some stuff about drives that I don't understand and at the bottom "primary slave hard disk error". Hit F2 to continue. When I hit F2 the computer will boot up but something is obviously wrong.

In general the computer is still working, I can run office programs and get online just fine. I just can't use my CD drive.

Running Windows 7. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:35 AM

What is the manufacturer and model number of your computer?

Also, verify that the power and data cables to the drive are secure and undamaged. Unplug them and plug them back in. Keep your arm touching the metal case of the computer as you work on it.

If it still give that error, the cheapest thing to try first is replacing the data cable.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users