Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building My First Gaming/Awesome Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

Here are my specs:

Case: HAF-X
CPU: i7-3930k
GPU: EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Monitor: ASUS VG Series VG278H
PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSC00-80GAD3-US 1200W
Keyboard: Logitech K800
Webcam: Logitech C310
Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011
CD Drive: LITE-ON Blu-ray Burner with 3D Playback SATA iHBS212-08
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC

Now I have some questions and keep in mind I am a n00b at this.

The fans of the case are 3-pin but the motherboard has 4-pin slots. How do I go about connecting these?

After assembling everything, do I just boot from the CD and install the OS or are there preliminary steps before I do that?

After looking at my hardware, what advice do you have?

Im sure theres gonna be more questions but for now thats it. Thanks in advance for any help

Edited by Dr. Joe, 12 January 2012 - 08:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

Generally...the only fan that I connect to the motherboard...is from the CPU heatsink/fan...and it doesn't have to be connected to the motherboard unless you want to be able to get accurate temps via the built-in sensors on the MB.

Your PSU should have some 3-pin and/or 4-pin connectors to which all fans can be attached.

Louis

#3 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

Generally...the only fan that I connect to the motherboard...is from the CPU heatsink/fan...and it doesn't have to be connected to the motherboard unless you want to be able to get accurate temps via the built-in sensors on the MB.

Your PSU should have some 3-pin and/or 4-pin connectors to which all fans can be attached.

Louis

But if I connect them straight the the power supply wouldnt that just run all the fans at max speed? Also since I have 5 fans, all which are 3-pin, how would I go about connecting all of them? Would I need a bunch of Y attachments?

Edited by Dr. Joe, 13 January 2012 - 05:09 PM.

#4 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

I will have the HAF-X with 5 3-pin fans and the motherboard only has 4-pin headers. I read on here (http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-012074.htm) that "When using a 3-pin power connector with a 4-pin fan header, the fan is always on; there is no fan control." Does this mean if I plug in my fans to the motherboard, the motherboard wont adjust the fan speeds according to the temperature sensors? Im finalizing what i need and just want to know if I need a fan controller.

After hours of research I figured out my answer. I need a fan controller.

Edited by hamluis, 15 January 2012 - 10:37 AM.
Merged topics/posts.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

Those fan connections will connect to the motherboard. If the motherboard cannot control the fan speeds based on PWM and temperature sensors, it will operate the fans at maximum speed. This will be a bit loud, but will work. If you have money in the budget, I would replace the fans with something quieter that uses all four pins.

As for the OS, you power on the system and do the standard BIOS setup as detailed in your motherboard manual. You then pop the OS DVD in and off you go.

As for hardware, have you considered the DIAMOND 7970PE53G Radeon HD 7970 3GB? It costs about $50 more but outperforms the GTX 580. You may have to wait a bit for retailers to get them in-stock though. That PSU is vastly overpowered for a single GPU setup, you would be better served with a 750W power supply unless you are planning for multi-GPU gaming.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users