Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think the C drive is dirty (Corrupt)

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Cephalon

Cephalon

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

I think this is the right place to post this issue, I have had tremendous help here on BleepingComputer, from removing Viruses to Getting data off a broken external hard drive. First off a little background on the machine in question... My friends Laptop (sony vaio VGN series) was acting up, and him not knowing anything about PC's he gave it to me to fix. He is running Windows XP. When I first started turned on this troubled machine his virus scanner was going nuts. He was infected with XP Security Tool 2010 Virus, But I used this guide I found here on the website http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-vista-2010 and I removed all maleware accordingly. So that is not an issue.

He originally wanted the machine wiped and windows reinstalled Windows 7 preferably. SO I tried to boot his machine using a windows 7 disk, and I realized then his CD/DVD drive does not recognize any cd, not only the boot discs. His cd/dvd drive is not functional. So then I tried to boot from USB (i have a flash drive with windows 7 works on all my machines) I did go into bios using the (F2) key on turn on the External Boot.... But in the Boot menu there is no External Boot, its just an option on the 'Advanced Settings' tab, the Boot menu only has Internal optical drive, then Hard Drive, Floppy Drive, But I dont think thats the issue either because when I hit F11 (boot menu) while booting windows it comes up and says 'Missing opperating system' it wont boot from the USB device, I tried upgrading to Vista straight from the Desktop and that doesnt work either, the C Drive does not show up. So it lead me to think that there is a problem with the disk in the laptop, for all the issues. I tried cmd prompt to run a dskchk C:/r "something like that" and it said it could not run a dskchk but will on restart, so when I restart the machine the dskchk still wont run says the Current drive or Volume is being used by another program, I treid to google this problem and it lead me here to my favorite place on the net. Now everytime I start the PC it wants to run a dskchk and it cant. Then it load windows XP SP3 normally. To me it seems like the DISC in the laptop is either corrupt or being locked by another program, (the machine is virus free) this problem was present before the Viruses were on the machine, for I have tried several different times to wipe it and reinstall a new OS for him. I guess I was wondering if the DISC has bad sectors then is that is what stops it from booting from USB?? All the other machines boot from USB except this one, so I know my tools are good :) I think the DISC is corrupt in the machine, I can not dskchk and I can not get the machine to boot from USB or Disc, any advice would be great. Thank You for your time, Ill be around all night tonight and tomorrow to answer any questions or diagnose any other problems. I have the troubled machine in my possession for awhile, we just want to put Windows 7 on it. I ran the Windows utlitity tool to see of Windows 7 will work and it says it does for a 32bit (which what this is)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

OKay so I disbaled the chkdsk on start-up using this command Chkntfs.exe. and then I ran a chkdsk in administrator mode star menu run cmd (ctrl-shift-enter) I ran a chkdsk and it found errors but said could not fix errors in read only mode, thats the most success Ive had yet with it. It did delete a lot of Indexes however. I hope I have posted this in the right place, All we wanna do is wipe the machine and re-intsall windows 7, Vista or XP what ever I can get to boot, but if the disc wont let me boot it in anyway then I dont know how to wipe it. So very sorry if this post is in the wrong forum. I picked hardware because the DISC is the problem I think... And CD drive... When I started it again it did go to chkdsk so that command didnt work the actual message it says is chkdsk cannot access that volume windows is restarting...

Edited by Cephalon, 12 January 2012 - 08:16 PM.

#3 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

Maybe it is a Virus (then i am posting in the wrong forum) Sorry! But after I cleaned the machine with Malewarebytes last night to delete the fake XP Security Tool 2010 it showed no Viruses.. I ran it 3 times and it showed 0 viruses and I turned it off. I just ran Malewarebytes right now (Quick Scan) and it found 1 object detected so far, Its still running so If you would like me to re-post this in the Maleware removal forum no problem, I can do that. I am just trying to figure out how to reinstall an operating system on this machine. But there is a lot of problems with it. The Quick Scan is still running, but it did find 1 object. Man this is laptop has some serious problems... I can repost in the Virus removal section if needed, I just want to access the disk so I can wipe it and re-install windows....

#4 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

Malewarebytes finished and it found 2 objects both are exploit.drop.3P and exploit.drop.7 if those are whats causing the disk from booting off USB then I can repost in the maleware removal forum if asked to do so. Sorry for all the random posts, Just trying to help my buddy out with his Laptop for college this coming semester.

#5 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

After removing the selected viruses off of malewarebytes the Laptop restarted tried to chkdsk and now it says Malewarebytes encountered a severe error and had to close after running it for 15 minutes on a full scan. I am going to make a new post on the maleware removal forum, then after I get that situated I will come back to adress the hard drive problems. THis laptop of my buddys is in bad shape I just hope I can fix it. So I will make a new post on the maleware removal section. Thank you BleepingComputer you guys ROCK!

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:17 PM

Wow! You have been busy posting!!!

Please try booting with the Puppy CD. Success?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

Hey AustrAlien :) yeah man, my really good friends Laptop is a mess, and he needs it for school, and me being the Computer Guy in my group of friends he wants to me try and fix it for him, I tried several things before coming here, I already tried the Puppy Linux Cd I made for my External Hard Drive... The problem is the Laptop wont read any CD/DVD, I can hear the CD spinning but it doesnt show up in 'My Computer' or anything. When I right click the CD/DVD drve (G:) and hit eject the disc tray does open. I feel bad for my friend because his Laptop is a mess. He doesnt download anything (toerrents) or anything else. He only uses it for college and the poor guy doesnt know anything about PC's. Anyways I still found a few Viruses I am still working on removing. Thank you for your reply. Our main goal is to wipe the machine and reinstall a fresh copy of windows. Thank you for your time.

By the way I was able to retrieve my data off the external hard drive in my last problem. :) Puppy Linux found the hard drive and I got all the Data, but it wouldnt read it a second time. :) So that really made my day!!

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:56 AM

Good: I thought perhaps you would have already tried Puppy. Just checking.

Laptops usually have a recovery partition for restoring the system to "factory out-of-the-box condition". Have you checked to see if this is a viable option for you?

Providing the exact model of the laptop might help a helper, too: Look under the laptop for the full model number.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

I did not know that, Thank you, Is it basically just using the cmd line? I will research that right now. Wow thank you for the info :) Much appreciated

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:29 AM

Give me the model details of the laptop and I will attempt to locate the user guide/manual, and find the method used to start the Recovery process from the recovery partition.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:45 AM

Everytime I restart the laptop it wants to Check Disc, and it says 'Check Disc Cannot open the Volume, Windows is starting'. I think that interfered with Malewarebytes trying to remove infections. Because now Malewarebytes encounters errors and needs to close. I think if uninstall Malewarebytes using CCleaner and then reinstall it, maybe Malewarebytes will be able to open again.... I feel sorry for my friend because this lpatop has soo many problems. I told him I would do my best to repair it. On a good note after removing the Fake Anti-Virus 2010 XP the Laptop is at least functional now. I can at least open files and access it. I would like to stop the PC from trying to chkdsk on restart and at least be able to access the disc so I can boot the machine from USB. LOL too many problems. Right now I have am in Que for the next available helper from Sonycare. SO Ill let you know what I can find out about the recovery partition. I got all the info from the Laptop.

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:55 AM

OK, if you wish to go that way. Otherwise provide the exact laptop model and I will provide what help I can.

There is no point in fussing about what is happening with the Windows system if your intent is a clean install or recovery install of the Windows system.

If there is no mention of an option to boot from a USB device in the BIOS Setup Menu, then it is most unlikely that the machine is capable of doing so.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:55 AM

Do you think if I used my Driver program I bought a while back on the machine and updated every driver on the laptop it could help fix problems, Like maybe the cd/dvd drive is simply just a driver issue?

#14 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:02 AM

Cool, thank you for the help :) Your totally right about fussing with the operating system. Okay the laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-FE780G series & the model number is PCG-7R2L. And its Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. I am going to enter Bios right now to see what all the options are. I already enabled External Boot. But I will see what the booting options are.

Edited by Cephalon, 13 January 2012 - 02:02 AM.

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:06 AM

The problem with the CD/DVD drive is an unknown quantity at this time. I suggest not concerning yourself with it until you know whether or not you can successfully complete a reinstallation using the recovery partition.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users