Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Anyone Actually Help At This Site?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 clcole

clcole

• Banned
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:05 PM

Wow!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:35 PM

If you are referring to your several posts of HJT logs that are still unanswered, please bear in mind that the people helping are strickly un-paid volunteers, and take each post on a first-come, first-reviewed basis. Posting more than one log certainly does not make their job any easier and only confuses anyone attempting to help you since they have no idea which log is the one they need to look at.

There are other members ahead of you who have been patiently waiting and they will be helped first.

Considering the literally thousands of people who have received free and useful help here at BC, your sarcastic comment is not only out of line, but extremely inaccurate and non-productive.

John

Edited by jgweed, 10 February 2006 - 12:42 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,735 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:45 PM

In addition to what John said...

The board gets somewhere around 100 new HJT logs posted a day - sometimes more, sometimes less.

There are somewhere around a dozen active HJT team members at any given time - all are volunteers and have other things in their lives in addition to answering logs.

Logs are handled nominally on a first come first served basis. Currently, your log is 44th in the list. I know it can be frustrating, but please be patient.

Edited by ddeerrff, 10 February 2006 - 12:46 PM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 clcole

clcole
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:18 PM

Hello John,

Actually, I'm referring to several unanswered posts by other people that I've searched through looking for similarities to my problem. Basically, all I've encountered is simple chat. So again, I'll ask, is this a place where I can really get help or is it just a place to say hello and play kiddy games? One more thing, "Big Man John", if sarcasm is frowned upon here, go ahead and cancel my registration.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:23 PM

You feel we are censoring you? I disagree. You had your say here and this post is still here and not deleted. We will, though, delete double posts of the same topic. Why? They post absolutely no useful information to this site or our members and use up our resources for your ranting.

I see you repeatedly posting HJT logs and having them being deleted. Why? Because if you post one log, you will not receive help any quicker by again posting another log. Those extra logs are removed and deleted as part of the board maintenance. People, for the most part, get helped on a first come first served basis. You do not like this fair method? Then do not come here.

You expect to get help immediately just because you post a log? John and Derfram explain it perfectly. Post a log and be patient. There are 45 logs currenty ahead of you. It may take days for us to respond but you will eventually be helped when someone finally gets to your log.

You may think I am being a tad harsh here, but the reality is that I am being more than patient. People provide volunteer support, where they sacrifice their time and energy helping people for absolutely no benefit other than getting the satisfaction out of helping others.

With that in mind, I think you probably owe them an apology.

#6 clcole

clcole
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:27 PM

Big Man John, you just don't get it do you? It's not about being impatient. I figured I'd post my question, and then browse other similar posts looking for useful information. Unfortunately, all I found was kiddy like answers. So, in one last effort to put this in terms you can understand, Big Man John, I was simply asking if I was at the right site? I was not being impatient.

#7 clcole

clcole
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:31 PM

Hey Grinler, about your censor comment, this post was originally deleted, and then reposted. Thanks for playing, though.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:31 PM

I am not John...but am going to answer.

What is up with this:

Big Man John

Are you purposely trying to be antagonistic? It sure appears so.

Unfortunately, all I found was kiddy like answers.

What does this even mean? Please give me an example of what you are referring to.

So, in one last effort to put this in terms you can understand, Big Man John, I was simply asking if I was at the right site?

John is a very intelligent man. I am sure he understood exactly what you were asking, but just didnt like the tone you were asking it in. Or maybe you just dont want to understand our answer?

As for it being the right forum, 13,000+ cleaned logs must mean something.

#9 clcole

clcole
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:39 PM

I apologize if I have insulted Big Man John's intellect, but clearly he did not understand my post. It was not about "Hey, look at me and answer my question!", it was about the site itself. This place is unbelievably touchy, and I think I now have the answer to my question. Again Grinler, thanks for playing.

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:43 PM

Ok . Guess what...your being banned. Why? Because your attitude sucks and you just refuse to get it.

Again Grinler, thanks for playing.

Game over!

Bye.

#11 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:47 PM

Woah...clcole...please..this site is trully wonderful...the help you get will be concise and simply put and no doubt will solve your problem...often several folk reply to your post...but..you do have to be patient...really...and you come across as definitely NOT a patient person...yes..my hackles are up...I like BC and so do thousand of others who have had help FOR FREE......yes...FREE!! Please be patient ...

OOps...sorry...i see clcole has been banned ...and rightly so...!

Edited by Dollyeyes, 10 February 2006 - 01:48 PM.

Posted Image
Of all the things Ive lost...I miss my mind the most!

#12 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:54 PM

Wow..... you really have to have a twisted view on things if you consider the people here to be non-helpful/disrespectful/antagonistic....

The minute i showed up here, i felt i was very welcome. Even some of the stupidest questions i asked (believe me, i've looked over my first couple of posts, they were pretty *dee dee dee*) were responded to quickly and with absolutely no "holier than thou" attitude.

If he didn't want to be here, i don't understand his logic of posting so many statements...

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 10 February 2006 - 02:14 PM.

#13 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:10 PM

Funny. Being this such a nice forum, I came to think there were no trolls. Luckily, they are as notorious as pimples in the face.

#14 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:55 PM

Hi clcole

You are (were) posting in one of the best forums on the web. Take a look around and you will find questions answered in simple - real world responses. Our strength is in our people and our staff is very well versed in the issues they review. We are a team.

Respect is the rule here.

The HijackThis team is one of the best in the world. They work long hours fixing logs and training to battle new spyware issues. The malware world works hard to find new ways to infect people - wonder why? Because these guys are constantly undoing what the bad guys worked so hard to corrupt.

In short, if you have a problem - we can fix it 99% of the time. (no one is perfeck)

Take care,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#15 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:59 PM

Thanks Dolly, Cyclica, and Heretic Monkey for your support!
I would like to defend Bleeping Computer's honor as well.

Basically, all I've encountered is simple chat. So again, I'll ask, is this a place where I can really get help or is it just a place to say hello and play kiddy games?

You must not of looked very far. There are so many well thought out responses of help here.
I for one admire the fantastic members here. They go above and beyond!

Edited by Scarlett, 10 February 2006 - 03:00 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users