Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick Nvidia driver question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brc2000

brc2000

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

Hi,

I want to know that when I want to update the driver whether I need to uninstall it form "Device Manager" (under display driver) first or is that only necessary when changing the card itself?. I did it without doing it and it worked fine, but I rolled back and thought I should check first. When I uninstall the driver, I'm unable to get the update. I need the update because I don't seem to have the NVIDIA control panel otherwise. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,674 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

It's preferable to uninstall the old version first, but in most cases it isn't a firm requirement.

#3 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

It's kind of weird, because when I uninstall the driver (and the "display monitor" logo disappears from the list of intsalled drivers), I'm unable to actually install the new driver. The NVIDIA instructions state that I should uninstall the driver from "Programs and Features" in control panel, but there was no NVIDIA software. Uninstalling it does change the display, but otherwise it's like it's not even there (no control panel or anything).

Edited by brc2000, 12 January 2012 - 06:56 PM.

#4 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

And you rebooted?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#5 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

Rebooting causes the drivers to re-install automatically.

I think I may just update without uninstalling. It seemed to go smoothly before and a games that weren't running properly before worked better as well.

Edit: Another thing that may be worth mentioning is that with the current driver it shows "NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)", but after updating the part in brackets didn't show.

Edit 2: the picture shows the message I get from the installer when I uninstall the driver from "Device Manager". I have to either reboot or "scan for hardware changes" for it to reinstall. Is it a problem or am I fine just updating it like any other software?

Attached Files

Edited by brc2000, 12 January 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#6 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

Ok. I just read this from the NVIDIA website:

Q: Do I need to uninstall my older driver first?
A: No. It used to be the case that an uninstall was first required. Today the recommended method is to overinstall the newer driver on top of your older driver. This will allow you to maintain any current NVIDIA Control Panel settings or profiles.

Didn't find that earlier after hours of looking. I think I'll go ahead with it.

Thanks for the responses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users