Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Completely Stumped

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sargargoyl

Sargargoyl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

Okay, I usually can fix minor issues with desktops. This one has me so stumped. I have a secondary backup computer that is ANCIENT. Running XP, it is a Compaq Presario SR1030NX, with 512MB Ram, 160GB Hardrive with a 3000AMD Athelon processor. I was updating my anti virus, but after 10 minutes the screen goes blank. The hard drive is not running, the monitor is fine. I re boot and I get the black screen screen that wants to either start safe mode or normal windows. Start normal. Try again, different program, still an anti virus though. Try to scan and the computer blacks out and this time after it blacks out the hard drive stops as though I had fully shut down the computer. Monitor has not gone to sleep, and the idiots lights are on the tower, but the activity light, the fan & the hard drive are not functioning. Re Boot and the same black screen, not even scan disk or blue screen. Please help, I don't want another paper weight.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

As neither your fan (I assume you mean the CPU cooling fan) or the hard drive are running this sounds like a failing power supply. Or, it is shutting down because the CPU fan has failed and it is overheating.

At the end of your post you refer to "the same black screen" do you mean the boot options screen?

Take the side of the case off and see if the fan is running when you first start the PC?

Are you still seeing the POST screen when you switch it on?

#3 Sargargoyl

Sargargoyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

I do hear the fan as it turns on. I have not noticed anything hot. Yes I did mean the boot screen. I took off the case and I can see the fan working. Thank you for the fast input, I will get a new supply, as they are rather inexpensive and try that. If it continues, I will let you know. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users