Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Xp Sharing On Lan

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 randyrayd

randyrayd

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:29 AM

I’m posting in this forum instead of “Networking” as the only thing that has changed on my LAN is a new computer with XP that replaced a computer with Win98-2. I have configured to allow sharing so why does the new computer on my home network ask me for user/password when trying to share files on my second computer with Win 2K Pro? The XP computer replaced an older one with Win98-2, which would share files without prompting for anything.

I will keep checking the forum as I didn’t get email notifications on my last post even though it is enabled.

Thanks,
Randall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:34 PM

And what happens if you use user/pass from your actual W2K account?

Try this: create, in the W2K computer, an account with the same name of the one you are using in XP.

#3 randyrayd

randyrayd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:04 PM

The user/password from the 2000 computer would give an error message that it was incorrect.

I changed my user name on the XP computer to match the 2K and got in. I needed some files and WAB for my wife and daughter on the new computer, so you saved me a lot of time.

Although this has fixed my problem, I'm wondering if I had no user/password logon on the 2K computer, would I have gotten to share files without XP asking me for the user/password? Just curious.

Thank you.

Edited by randyrayd, 10 February 2006 - 02:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users