Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed System Restore (I think...)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 cassette

cassette

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

Hi all, I hope I'm posting this in the right forum and thanks in advance for any help.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium on a Sony Vaio Laptop FZ31S.

Started a system scan with Malwarebytes last night which ran for about 15mins before a blue screen came up. I didn't take note of the error message, silly I know, but attempted to restart as it was the first time I had got this blue screen. Wouldn't restart normally but instead went into diagnostic startup which ran overnight. This finished and said (I think) that some problems had been fixed and some things had been moved to a folder called 'Found' and to run System Restore to finish the process.

Tried to run System Restore two or three times in normal startup and kept getting the following error message:

System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

Details: An unspecified error occured during System Restore.
You might want to try System Restore again and choose a different restore point
For more information, see System Restore: FAQ

I then went into safe mode using msconfig and tried System Restore again and got no error message, but neither did I get a message saying that my system had been restored to a particular restore point.

So, I am not sure if system restore was successful or not, and also, when I went to return to normal startup through msconfig it automatically goes to safe mode. It will start with selective startup which is what I normally use as I have stopped things like Spybot running on startup. Also I cannot find the folder 'Found' that the diagnostic startup mentioned.

I think my real question is if there is still an underlying problem with my computer and if I can take any steps to fix it/stop it happening again.

Thanks for any help you can give and sorry if this is long-winded/full of unnecessary information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users