Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Boots to Blank Screen With Blinking Cursor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iComp

iComp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

Dell Inspiron N5010
Intel 2.53GHz CPU
500GB HD
4GB Memory
Win7 Home

This laptop boots to a blank screen with blinking cursor in upper left corner of display, nothing works at this point it has to be powered off. The only options are pressing F2 for setup or F12 for boot options after dell logo appears and before it goes to the blank screen. I tried booting to a Win7 disk for repair but the cd spins for a bit and then goes to the blank screen, also checked BIOS and the only thing wrong was the time was off. Then went into boot options and ran system diagnostics and all tests passed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?
2) Is the cd drive the first device in the bios boot order? I'm guessing it is not.
3) Replace the cmos battery.

#3 iComp

iComp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

No changes since it was running correctly and yes the cd drive was 1st in the boot order when I tried booting from cd. I'll try changing the CMOS battery. Thanks.

#4 iComp

iComp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

The battery was ok so I then used a win7 cd to repair the mbr and the computer boots normally now.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

Okay.Glad you're up and running.

Edited by Allan, 13 January 2012 - 04:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users