Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP OfficeJet 6500A E710 All-in-One's Scanner doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Richard ken

Richard ken

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

The problem I have with my printer, HP Officejet 6500A E710 All-In-One, is the scanner. I have installed everything that was on the installation Disk and still it says, "The HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z was not found." The strange thing is that I am able to print stuff out but couldn't scan things. I had already gone to control panel and click scanner but it still didn't work since it didn't have the manufacturer on the option and I tried it with the disk and still nothing happened. So I am not sure if it's my laptop, Compaq Presario C306US, Window XP Service Pack 3, is the problem or something.

Edited by Richard ken, 12 January 2012 - 02:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

HPs can be funny.
You should uninstall the old HP software, Reboot and making sure the USB cable is disconnected between the printer and the computer install the new version.
When the software prompts you then you plug in the printer. Doing it differently can cause problems.

Go here and download the latest driver.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4083871#N187

HP Officejet Full Feature Software and Driver ►
2010-11-11 , Version:22.50.231, 114.55M
The Full Feature Software and driver solution is the complete software solution intended for users who want more than just a basic drivers.

IMPORTANT NOTES
For Windows XP Starter Edition, Windows Vista Starter Edition and Windows 7 Starter Edition
•Is supported for USB only
If you only want the drivers (without the Full Software Suite), it is available as a separate download named "HP Officejet Basic Print and Scan Driver

or

Description: The Basic Feature software solution is a driver-only software solution intended for users who want a basic print and scan driver to use with their HP all-in-one device. This software installation can be used on PC's which do not meet the minimum system requirements necessary to install the Full Featured software solution.

Also under hide
Utility - Diagnostic Tools (‏4) is

HP Hardware Diagnostic Utility ►
and
HP Scan Diagnostic Utility ►

HP Scan Diagnostic Utility was created to help users troubleshoot and correct connectivity problems with HP All-in-One devices and software on Windows-based computers. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the utility.
and
HP Home Network Diagnostic Utility ►
and
HP Print Diagnostic Utility ►

Edited by rotor123, 12 January 2012 - 06:14 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

I already have the latest software and I used the scan diagnostic but there still said no scanner detected

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

How about the hardware diagnostic?
Does the scanner work at all. can you copy or fax from the printer?

You should uninstall the old HP software, Reboot and making sure the USB cable is disconnected between the printer and the computer install the new version.
When the software prompts you then you plug in the printer. Doing it differently can cause problems.

Did you try that? HPs don't like to be hooked up and then have the software installed.
I just have this sneaky suspicion the printer was hooked up when the software was installed.

Or is anything showing in the Device manager under the Imaging section?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

I will try uninstalling it and reinstalling it, I will tell you if it works or not.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

Do not forget to have the printer unplugged from the computer until it says to hook it up. That is an important step with HP printers.

167 @ June 2015

#7 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

It finally worked!!! It would seem that when I first installed it, I must have plugged it in while it was installing the software and I might have canceled the process when the computer said, "Found New Hardware." That's what I think happened but Thank you for every piece of advice you gave =D

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

I had a feeling it would turn out to be something like that. I am glad it now works.

Best Regards
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users