Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hey guys!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chase_Wheeler

Chase_Wheeler

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hey my name is Chase Wheeler and I am a new member to Bleeping Computer(BC). In this post I will go into my background and goals for my membership here at BC.

I have been working on computers since I was 13, I started on the small stuff, playing games from floppy drives, playing with internal components, fixing issues I (or family) created etc, since then I have learned alot! Its been a long and fun ride (sometimes a little bumpy too!) I currently work at a small computer repair business in North Carolina although when I turned 18 I started working at a large government Contracting office here doing IT work. So far the number one thing I have learned about computers, is that when you finally think you have a good handle/knowledge base about computers you find out you know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! As far as I know there is no finishing point, no "I know everything now" point.

So now that I have gone into a little bit of my background lets talk about what I know. I know computer hardware fairly well, as far as assembly and troubleshooting. Now ask for a text book definition of the FSB and will look at you funny. I know that it passes data from the processor, memory, and buses etc, but past that no. I have built computers from low range to gaming rigs. I am more familiar with Windows XP(XP) then I am with Vista/7 because when they came out I wasn't to happy with them and stayed with XP. I know basic web design (I am fluent enough in HTML and CSS and can read and edit Javascript and PHP.) I have been removing virus's for about 3-4 years now. Now I believe everybody goes threw the evolution from "Norton, Mcafee, (insert big names here) are the best" to "The free ones like AVG, AVAST etc are the best." In the past I supported AVG but currently I use/support Avast because AVG has become a resource hog. I remember before I knew about Combofix and I had to use Malwarebytes to get some trace of what kind or name of the virus I was fighting, use Rkill to kill any rootkits hiding what I am looking for, look for processes, look for links to the registry/files etc and follow the trail til everything has been eliminated. Nowadays its mostly hit it with combofix, then avast, malwarebytes, then clean up the rest (CCleaner Autoruns) and you are good to go mostly.

About 3ish years ago I started to dabble with linux, got into Ubuntu, got some old machines up and running with Puppy/DSL etc. For the last 6 months or so I have been really getting into the nitty gritty running Debian with no GUI and loving it.

Wow this post is getting really long and I have only covered about half of what I planned on so I will cut it short. I have used BC for virus removal info for awhile now, just recently I was researching the new baddy in town Rootkit.ZeroAccess and was on the Malwarebytes forum. I saw someone helping another user but their posts were deleted because they wern't vetted threw UNITE, which I had never heard of before, so here I am trying to get into BC's courses. I know that I know a lot, and have a lot to learn but I am ready. There are hours at work where I do nothing at work but surf the internet, so why not dedicate it to something constructive which will further my job and skill set?

I hope to be accepted soon to BC's program, and was informed you must have 20 posts to be accepted. 20 posts really isn't a lot but when you only do full and informative posts it seems like a mountain right now! So wish me luck, and I will search the forums looking for places to share my knowledge, by the way I am still not completely certain what I can and cannot post on so if you could share that info with me I would much appreciate it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

Hello and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the excellent Tutorials.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users