Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro SP3 Laptop Won't Run ChkDsk

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 confusedExpert

confusedExpert

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

As stated in the topic tile, my problem is that my XP Pro SP3 laptop, which otherwise appears to be operating perfectly normally, will not run Chkdsk. When I request check disk with the option to fix file system errors it tell me it requires exclusive access to the disk and asks if I want to run it at startup. I say yes, but it never happens.

There is a very long post at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic430906.html where this situation is examined ad-nausea from the false assumption of a malware issue but eventually the laptop comes up clean as was always my assessment. Please note that the original problem statement was more complex, but this complexity was resolved by restoring the system to an earlier point in time. If you reference this post you will also see that I have run chkdsk /r from the recovery console and it did not resolve the simpler problem as stated here. So I am at wits end. There appears to be some configuration problem introduced via an earlier problem applying automatic updates, but I need some useful ideas about resolving it.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

I would try reinstalling SP3...IME, it overcomes some crazy little problems such as you seem to have. It won't do any harm to the system...it may revert your critical updates back to the SP3 level.

You did try running sfc /scannow again?

Did you insert the XP CD when you ran it? Is SP3 reflected on said CD?

Louis

#3 Chase_Wheeler

Chase_Wheeler

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

I would recommend checking your Hard Drive for bad sectors by booting into a third party program. I have not experienced your issue but it could be the problem nontheless. I personally use HDD Regenerator, it is an amazing program that I don't know if I can link to but a quick google search will find it. I saw some sites that offer it for free or for discount but I would not trust those sites. The official website does have a trial though, I don't know the effectiveness of the trial, I use the full version and it works wonders.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

When I request check disk with the option to fix file system errors it tell me it requires exclusive access to the disk and asks if I want to run it at startup. I say yes, but it never happens.

Try scheduling a disk check again immediately after reboot (after a scheduling). And again.
How's it go?

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hi

I don't know if you've done this but you can check if autochk.exe is properly signed. If it is not (usually because of corruption) then Windows will ignore it. Here's the easiest way to verify the signature...

Open the Run dialog by clicking START then RUN

Type

sigverif

and click OK

The File Signature Verification Utility will open.
Click the ADVANCED button.

Check the option for "Look for other files that are not digitally signed"
In Search Options "Scan this file type" type

autochk.exe

In "Look in theis folder:"
Browse to

C:\WINDOWS\system32

click OK

Click START

If all is well, then a box should pop up saying...
"Your files have been scanned and verified as digitally signed"
With an OK

Let us know if it says anything different.

James

#6 confusedExpert

confusedExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for all the quick replies.

NeverSayDie: autochk.exe is signed.
bludgard: chkdsk no run is infinitely repeatable.
ChaseWheeler: HDD Regenerator finds no bad sectors on my hard drive.
hamluis: What does IME represent in SP3...IME? Mod Edit: In my experience :) ~ Hamluis.

Yes, I've run sfc /scannow. In the referenced thread, I stated that I corrected a more severe problem by cleaning the updates cache and running sfc /scannow.

What I did not spell out is that I loaded the contents of my I386 folder from my XP Pro SP3 install disk to facilitate a smooth running of sfc /scannow.

Edited by hamluis, 13 January 2012 - 09:02 AM.

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

What happens when you just right-click on the drive and run disk check within Windows (without the option to fix any errors)?

#8 confusedExpert

confusedExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

bludgard: Check Disk without a request to fix errors runs immediately without error to completion.

#9 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:23 PM

Forgive me if I have missed somethin; but what antivirus/malware program(s) are booting with Windows?
If any are set to monitor at boot, please disable this feature and try again.
Is this machine setup for dual/multiboot?

#10 confusedExpert

confusedExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

bluegard,

The system is running Avast Free with ZoneAlarm Free firewall. I experimented with various Avast settings for what happens at startup but could not find one which clearly postpones all startup, so I uninstalled it and tried several reboots to see if it would help. It did not, so I reinstalled. The machine was not set for multi-boot until recently when I installed the recovery console. So at bootup, I have a few seconds to choose XP or recovery console.

#11 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:38 PM

bluegard,

The system is running Avast Free with ZoneAlarm Free firewall. I experimented with various Avast settings for what happens at startup but could not find one which clearly postpones all startup, so I uninstalled it and tried several reboots to see if it would help. It did not, so I reinstalled. The machine was not set for multi-boot until recently when I installed the recovery console. So at bootup, I have a few seconds to choose XP or recovery console.

I remember an issue several years ago where ZoneAlarm's driver was causing a problem with chkdsk scanning on boot. If I remember correctly (this was like five years ago) they released a newer version that fixed the problem. You might want to see if you have the latest version. Zone Alarm is a great product but when things go wrong with it, it can be difficult to fix. An unsuccessful uninstall can prevent network access especially to wireless networks so tread carefully.

James

#12 confusedExpert

confusedExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

NeverSayDie,

Should have mentioned this before, but I have a nearly identical laptop, XP Pro SP3, Avast Free, ZoneAlarm Free, same versions, which does not have the chkdsk problem. (I am running the latest versions of Avast and ZoneAlarm).

#13 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:10 AM

Please open regedit >
Navigate to the following entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager >
Post what is shown as BootExecute.
Posted Image

#14 confusedExpert

confusedExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

bludgard - here it is:

autocheck autochk /p \??\C:
autocheck autochk *

#15 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

You could check for any event log entries for the autochk process....

Click START
Right click on My Computer
Click on MANAGE

The Computer Management window should open.
In the left pane of the Computer Management window, expand

System Tools
Event Viewer
and click on Application

See if there are any entries for autochk or chkdsk
There might be an error code or explanation as to why it is not running.
You can also check the System events (also under Event Viewer in the left pane)

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 13 January 2012 - 02:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users