Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway laptop, screen goes blank when computer starts an intensive process

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Napoleon31ft

Napoleon31ft

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

I am working on a gateway laptop and it has a very weird problem. The computer starts up just fine, but as soon as an intensive process starts (i.e. large data copy, running a game from the disk drive, ect.) the computer makes a weird noise (sounds like it might be coming from the hard drive, or that area) and then the screen goes black. Black as in still on, just a blank black screen. The only way to get rid of it is force shutdown and restart. Any ideas? I was thinking it might be a bad hard drive but after a few tests it seems to be healthy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

What test has been made as mentioned? Have you checked the PSU or CPU fan the one making noise? Stressing or intensive activites for the computer is what you should know if the computer is up to the task or still capable. This always depends on the hardware specs. or something needs replacement.

Tekken

#3 Napoleon31ft

Napoleon31ft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

Well, all I did with the HD was run some scans with a Ubuntu disk utility. I have not taken it apart enough to get to any fans. The stressful activities are very basic, such as, copying a few gigs of music, or playing SIMS. Just basic tasks that any computer should be able to handle. Would you suggest taking the computer apart more?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:20 PM

I did not realize upon re reading it was a laptop. Sorry for some misinformation about the PSU. Overheating on the graphics chipset could be the culprit here as you mention of gaming. What model is this laptop? Have you check the vents of how hot the air comes out?

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users