Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PLS HELP ME BEFORE I REINSTALL WIN 7

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 anamika29501

anamika29501

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hi

I've been advised to clarify my queries here regarding backing up data before reinstallation.See original post http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic435228.html/page__p__2529174__fromsearch__1#entry2529174

Since my problems started after a mass Windows updata,& I use Norton Security Suite to regularly back up my data,I'm worried about the following:
  • If it reinstall Windows & then restore data & since back ups might include the program files too,wouldn't the corrupted program files mess with my new installation ?
  • If I were to use a new ext HDD to back up data(rather than going for the old one which might/might not 've the corrupted files- I don't know) & follow the steps as in here http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-reinstall-windows-7-easily-step-by-step-guide/ would I be able to back up just the documents,photos,data files,music etc without any components of Windows program files?
  • My SONY VAIO initially had Windows Vista & they sent the upgrade for Win 7 later ,I'd installed Win 7 using 2 discs they had provided.So,would there be any issues using the discs again for reinstallation cos that link above mentioned only 1 disc ?
I would appreciate a quick reply to all my queries so I can proceed with my clean reinstallation & get rid of the issues nagging my laptop.

Thanks for your time

Edited by hamluis, 12 January 2012 - 07:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

Since the concern is you have a corrupted system and some virus detection and a reinstallation is more of an option. IMO, it is better to connect the hard drive by enclosure to be able to access the data manually from there. You would need another working PC to do this. You could also scan the drive with an updated antivirus or the suggested MBAM, Superantispyware when the drive is mounted or slave on another computer before opening or transferring any files.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users