Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista won't boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cdaniels3

cdaniels3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

It would appear that I know just enough about computers to get myself in trouble.

My laptop has Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2, version 6.0.6002

I work on a boat, and a few months ago my laptop was in my computer bag on the floor of the galley when the galley flooded. My computer was completely underwater. After it dried, it still (mostly) functioned, aside from some USB issues and some random BSODs every few days.

After it went swimming, AVG started finding viruses in some files that sounded important (I believe they included the word 'boot' or maybe 'run32' or other words that I usually interpret as meaning "leave these files the heck alone" and had .dll extensions), and in the back of my mind I thought I should leave them alone, but I put those suckers in the virus vault anyway. Yesterday, Avira AntiVir was recommended to me. I had to uninstall AVG before it would let me install AntiVir, and when I uninstalled AVG I also selected the option to delete the contents of the virus vault. During the uninstall process, a BSOD popped up. I haven't been able to start my computer since then. It will get to the screen where I can select a user to log on, and after half a second or so on that screen I get a BSOD. I can start in safe mode, but when I start in safe mode with networking it won't connect to my network. I get local only, and it's constantly identifying. I don't have any disks with which to reinstall windows.

Can anyone help? Due to the USB issues, I may or may not be able to download stuff to my desktop and then transfer it to my laptop. I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed on the laptop, but it's outdated 52 days.

Edited by hamluis, 12 January 2012 - 11:33 AM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

First off, don't run the laptop with the battery in it. Just use the adapter.

Use BlueScreenView to provide details about your errors.

• Download the .zip file and extract to a folder on your desktop. Open that folder and run BlueScreenView.exe.
  • After BSV completes its scan, click Edit > Select All. Then click File > Save Selected Items and save the report to your desktop as BSOD.txt
  • Open BSOD.txt in Notepad and copy all of its content to your next reply.

===========================================

Use MemTest86+ to test your memory for failure.

• Download the latest version of the Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip), extract the ISO to a folder of your choice, and burn it to a blank CD. Instructions
  • Remove every stick of RAM except the one closest to the CPU. Remember to keep your arm touching the case as you do this.
  • Boot the affected computer from the CD. Pressing F12 on the BIOS screen is the most common way to bring up the 'boot device' menu. If necessary, adjust your BIOS settings to boot from the DVD/CD drive first.
  • Memtest is designed to repeat its test continuously. It is recommended that you allow the program to complete several 'passes' before declaring that stick of memory error-free.
    • Note: These tests can be very lengthy.
  • If Memtest finds an error, it will list it in red. There is no need to continue the test if an error is found.
  • After several clean passes (or an error), press the power button until the computer turns off.
  • Take out the currently installed stick, install the next stick in its place, and begin step 3 again.
  • If every stick passes, do one final test with all RAM installed. Allow this test to run at least overnight, but preferably 24 hours.
  • Report your findings in your next reply.

====================================================

Perform diagnostics on your hard drive.
  • Click the Start Orb and type in "device manager." In the search results, double-click device manager.
  • Double-click Disk Drives. The first drive listed is most likely the one you want to test.
  • Take note of its manufacturer (Samsung, Western Digital (WD), Seagate (ST), Toshiba, Hitachi, etc.)
    • If are still uncertain about your hard drive's manufacturer, include what you see there in your next reply and await further instructions.
  • Use this thread to download the appropriate diagnostic tool.
    • Some tools can be installed and run from within Windows, others will need to be burned to CD and booted from. Instructions
    • If you do not see your manufacturer listed, or are confused or overwhelmed (this is perfectly OK), use SeaTools for Windows. If Windows is highly unstable or won't boot, use the bootable CD, SeaTools for DOS.
  • Direct the program to perform a 'short-test'. If it passes, perform a 'long-test'. This will likely take a few hours.
  • Report the results in your next reply.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

Based on what I've seen in the past you probably have corrosion even from freshwater.

In the future if that happens again. Pull the Ac adapter & the battery.
Get it to a service place that can disassemble it and rinse it out with a proper fluid and then dry it and reassemble it.

That sooner that happens the less likelihood of permanent damage. I've seen how corroded the motherboard can get after 1 week from Coke or Pepsi and saltwater is probably worse.

If you want to post the make and model I can try and find a maintenance manual for it so you can look for yourself to save some money.

If it were totally submerged as you say I'm amazed it even works.

Unless it is a Panasonic Toughbook for example.

Edited by rotor123, 12 January 2012 - 05:59 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 cdaniels3

cdaniels3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

Wow, okay. I don't really know how to get this laptop apart. There are panels on the bottom that I'll take off, see if they give me access to the RAM. If not, I'll do my best to get into it.

I also left out the part where the person responsible for flooding the galley did (or at least claimed to) take it in and get it looked at, cleaned out, all of that. I also was amazed that it even turned on.

Edit: Okay, yeah, that was it. Got it. Taking the suggested steps now.

Edited by cdaniels3, 13 January 2012 - 12:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users