I've got just one HDD (no raid) with windows 7 64 bit ultimate installed. It has not yet been activated (did a clean install, and having trouble with activating windows)
In my attempt to activate windows, I did this:
- Changed the MediaBootInstall value from 1 to 0 at the registry location below:
- Ran the command slmgr -rearm from elevated command prompt
Afterwards, my computer crashes while loading windows with this BSOD (replaced repeating characters with periods):
iastor.sys Stop 0x0000007E, 0xF...C0...5, 0xFFFFF8001256C73, 0XFFFFF8800397E458, 0XFFFFF88397DCB0
Address FFFFF88001256C73 Base at FFFFF880012213000 (omit date)
I had limited paper space while writing down this error, so I can update this with exact if needed for troubleshooting.
Here is what I have tried already that didn't work:
- Boot to safe mode (BSOD)
- use built in windows repair (Fail)
- system restore (worked but didn't fix BSOD)
- rolling back to a backup created using windows backup 3 days prior (left this to run overnight, not sure if it worked by was on BSOD when i woke up)
- ran these commands from command prompt in recovery mode (after changing to appropriate drive letter): sfc /scannow, bootrec.exe /fixmbr & "" /fixboot
- downloaded the latest intel storage driver from their site, rename iastor.sys in my system32\drivers directory, copy new iastor.sys file to directory (I did notice that the address changed slightly after I did this in the BSOD error)
Here is what is on my list to try tonight, but I am skeptical of these solutions, as I think it quite unlikely that I have a virus:
- change bios HD mode to compatability from AHCI (default) - worth a shot I guess...
- run tdsskiller (boot using hirens boot cd)
- completely delete iastor.sys from drivers directory
I would like to avoid re-installing windows if at all possible. The whole process probably took me at least 6 hours on round 1 and that isn't my idea of a fun day with my new rig.
My specs for reference:
Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K
RAM - 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series (4X 8GB)
Video Card - EVGA Geforce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3GB 384-bit GDDR5
Power Supply - Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracude ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6GB
Edited by Andrew Fiedler, 12 January 2012 - 09:27 AM.