Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SOFTWARE WON'T WORK - WORD PROCESSING

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:20 AM

I am soooooo stressed out.

I didn't have a printer for a long time so I finally got one.

The past two days have been problems with plumbing leak and various other things so now is the first time I've had a chance.

But my software isn't working it either wants a registration number or whatever.

So I tried downloading Open Office and it keeps putting numbers in and I have to on each line choose TURN NUMBERS OFF on every line.

If you don't do it right it puts in the numbers anyway and destroys the first word you typed and if you try to fix it then it keeps eating words or putting numbers in wrong place

I AM SOOOO STRESSED OUT because I have to get this done and I have all this equipment and I can't do it and its making me crazy.

SOMEBODY PLEASE tell me a software that I can use.

Edited by hamluis, 15 January 2012 - 08:47 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Business Applications.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jardon Tech Training

Jardon Tech Training

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:36 AM

If open office isnt working maybe just give wordpad a go. It's not pretty but if you are in desperate need it could do the job.

#3 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:46 AM

Thank you - Will it convert some docs I have had in Open Office.

I have them partially finished so if I go to word pad do i have to start over.

Do you know how to turn off paragraph numbers in Open Office.

I turn them off and then the next line they are back again so every line I have to hit the turn page numbers off thing and sometimes it works but sometimes it messes up the words.

If i could just figure out how to permanently BAN paragraph numbers

I hate them they screw up my entire document.

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1919&start=0

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#5 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

I'VE BEEN UP ALL NIGHT AND MAKING PROGRESS THEN WHAT?

HALF THE DOCUMENTS I DID LAST NIGHT WITH OPEN OFFICE ARE EITHER CORRUPTED OR ELSE THEY WON'T OPEN

LAST NIGHT I WAS ALL THRU WITH ADMISSIONS AND MY bleep COMPUTER DECIDES TO DOWNLOAD SOME UPDATES AND DROPPED THE WHOLE bleepIING DAMNG THING

NO MATTER HOW HARD I TRY TO DO THIS IT JUST IS NOT MEANT TO BE.

IF I CAN'T GET THESE OPEN THEN bleep IT I GIVE THE bleep UP

I'VE GOT A DOWNLOADED FREE WINDOWS WORD PROCESSOR

I'VE GOT AN OLDER ONE A FRIEND PUT ON AND NEITHER ONE OF THEM WORK

3 DAMN WORD PROCESSOR AND I CAN'T DO THIS

I DON'T KNOW WHETHER TO SCREAM OR JUST PUT AN END TO THIS ENTIRE bleep NIGHTMARE MY LIFE HAS TURNED INTO

I'M TELLING YOU I JUST bleep DON'T GIVE A DAMN ANYMORE

WHERE THE bleep DOES IT EVER GET ME

I CAN'T DO THIS I JUST CANNOT DO THIS

#6 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

THE bleep DOCUMENTS ARE RIGHT HERE AND I CAN'T bleep OPEN THEM

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

This one works great for me.
http://www.jarte.com/download.html

#8 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

Thank you - I will defnitely check that out because I use WP a lot. Open Office has a lot of capabilities but its hardwired more or less for a certain way and if you want to modify it - its very hard to figure out how and I usually can figure out WP programs. Anxious to try it thanks a bunch.:dance:

#9 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

was I dreaming last night there was somebody on here going to help me with this but I had to upload it first??? Tell me I'm not losing it???

#10 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:10 AM

THE bleep DOCUMENTS ARE RIGHT HERE AND I CAN'T bleep OPEN THEM

Thank you for suggesting Juarte. It appears to me to be very workable - stuff but not too much stuff. Stuff - Bells and Whistles.

It appears to do the basic stuff easily without all the hangups and VEXING THINGS on Open Office. I have yet to figure out how to turn off automatic numbering on Open Office. You THINK you have it turned off but nope - think again.

And when you hit return it messes with your margins and indents and pretty soon your stuff is actually outside the margins.

I never could get a straight answer just how do you turn off numbering. Doesn't sound complicated to me but every "tip" I've gotten to address that turns into an endless reading searching blah blah.

SO THANK YOU for giving me what appears to be a lean mean viable option. I'm about to do some of my regular work involving cut and paste, formatting of case, page layout etc. plus trying to take a document from another source and convert it.

I think it will be just fine but I'll know for sure after doing my thing.

Thanks again! Bless you! WHY must people FIX things to the point they become UNUSABLE? :dance:

#11 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

<_< Can't seem to erase this 1 entry of mine. Darn.

Edited by boopme, 17 January 2012 - 02:29 PM.
Deleted uneccessary now.

#12 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

I want to thank you again Layback Bear for telling me about Jarte. I have now had a chance to use it extensively and find it just the ticket. It has lots of capabilities but is very user friendly and I need not read a book or two before I can figure out how to do something.

I remember the "old days" when things were apt to be more user-friendly before they started all the "improvements". You can only improve things just so much before you start messing them up, IMO. :dance:

Thank you Jarte has been a lifesaver! :busy:

#13 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

Sorry it took so long to get back. You are very welcome. If later you need more options Jarte has a Pro version. I have never
needed it.

#14 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back. You are very welcome. If later you need more options Jarte has a Pro version. I have never
needed it.

Thanks, I'm not sure what is included with the Pro Version but like you I cannot see anything that I need doing that isn't included on this free version. Honestly, this is such a wonderful, FUNCTIONAL program I do not understand why it is free. But I'm not complaining. Thank you so much for recommending it, I would be lost without it. I know that when I get ready to use it that I'm not going to spend hours pulling my hair out trying to make it work.

I can't say ENOUGH bad things about Open Office, it is the software from Hell imo.

#15 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

Layback Bear - Good recommendation.

The Jarte Word Processor is an extremely handy program to have on a flashdrive, very quick load.

Useful that it opens .docx files, (including 2010 .docx files), provided you have the Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office System, installed.

kcsummer
I have OpenOfficePortable on a flashdrive - apart from a slow load, it works perfectly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users