Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu 11.10 on USB? Bring Acer Laptop Back to Life

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 61creekside

61creekside

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:39 PM

I had posted over on Windows Vista that the computer will not load Windows Vista. I have installed Ubunto on an old computer which I am using for internet solutions. I am downloading Ubuntu 11.10 which gives the option of loading it onto a USB stick. Will I be able to use F2 in Bios to change the startup order to USB and load Ubunto and get on with life?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,264 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

Do you still have the medium that you installed Ubuntu with on the desk top?
If so, why are you downloading again and not using that medium to install on the laptop?

I don't know if your laptop will boot from a flash drive or not.

Reading your other post @ Vista forum, it seems you are missing a boot disk but have a backup image of Vista.
I suggest that if you have an Ubuntu CD to first attempt to run Ubuntu in the laptop as a live CD and not installed on the drive.
That is the best way to tell if the computer is compatible with Ubuntu.

You said you are ready to use Ubuntu exclusively on the laptop and give up Vista. Why not just install Ubuntu on the hdd of
the laptop if it is compatible with Ubuntu instead of using a flash drive?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Chase_Wheeler

Chase_Wheeler

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

Well I can't say for sure if your laptop will support booting from USB, if your BIOS has support then it will show in the boot menu. If you have a working Windows OS loaded right now I would update your BIOS before installing Ubuntu. To do this go to your computer manufacture, find your model and look for the newest BIOS software, most of the time you can just run the .exe file and it will restart and you will have the newest BIOS. Sometimes even the newest BIOS don't support USB boot, in which case you would have to boot from CD.

To be honest, I have had much less hassle loading from CD, but to each his own. :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users