Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 64bit Starting windows \ Safe Mode Failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 c2p2009

c2p2009

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

Hey guys, i'm trying my best to troubleshoot this computer and to no avail..

I have installed a 2nd copy of win7 on the machine so i do have access to all hard drives and this is ALL of what's happened within the past 5 days-

I kept getting (i use AVG and Malwarebytes) trojan warnings from windows\svchost.exe
I researched this on this forum and ran Combofix and Combofix KILLED this trojan. The rootkit was removed and svchost.exe never respawned again!

Within 12hrs of this fix.. the computer started restarting itself approximately every 16hrs. It did 2-3 restarts and the minidump report states-

Unable to load symbols for ntoskrnl.exe
I do not remember stop code however..

Anyways, i wake up this morning.. to the worst effect so far-

After POST, as soon as the Starting Windows screen appears, before the animated Windows even starts, the screen freezes and shows some video glitches in the very top part of the screen.

This FREEZE is 100% repetitive everytime at the same spot.

I attempt to boot into safe mode..

It loads 3 files, the last file is Hal.DLL After that, safe mode loading file screen freezes with the same video glitches in the top part of the screen.

I have inspected hardware monitor and video card temps\fans, etc..
No hardware faults in temps or voltage. (and with new copy of win7 i'm on, i bootup fine so no hardware issue there)
I then thought maybe my RAID controller was damaged somehow..
My Master drive is Raid Mirror.

But.. that can't be it either because i can freely access all files and execute them on my new win7 install.

I have ran chkdsk /R on my master drive and returned 0 bad sectors, 0 errors.

And last thing i did-

I extracted the system32 folder out of the install.wim file from Win7 64bit install disc, burnt to disc, booted in command prompt in repair computer section, copied ALL .dll files into master drive's system32 folder and it did not help at all! Still freezes at same place...

so i am lost as to what to do now..

I am currently about to run a full scan on this Master drive using AVG from my new win7 install to see if it finds anything but other than that.. something has this master drive corrupted pretty good..

also note-

In windows repair mode-
System Startup Repair fails to find problems.
System Restore found 2 points, 1/11 and 1/7, BOTH of which failed due to unable to extract 2 different files(stuck on different file from each restore point)
There is no System disc image

So.. what in the world am I to do from here?

Reinstalling Windows over itself is not an option as I have an array of software that is setup to my liking and would take about a month to setup all cad based software again..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 c2p2009

c2p2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

Virus scan just finished.

NO Infections found!

So i have a Corrupted Normal and Safe Mode bootup with no infections...

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

Hard drive diagnostic...delaying it isn't going to solve/change the facts.

Louis

#4 c2p2009

c2p2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

Already did, passed fine..

I have discovered why i couldnt get into windows.. but i do not know the cause...

I went back into the recovery console, opened REGEDIT...

Approximately 30% of my registry is missing! So something attacked it...

Luckily, i have Reg backup from 4 days ago..
I imported it, Bam! back in windows.

I have to combat the recent infection again but i have already made many backup restore points so i can finish fixing the infection and move on from here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users