Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trapped Into Cycle

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Leprechaun

Leprechaun

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:45 AM

Hi peeps,

Odd one this, I was using my PC fine last night, then the sound cut out without warning. Checked the speaker, saw nothing wrong, and figured I'd just turn it off and sort the problem in the morning. Well, today I turn it on, and get a "Windows was not shut down properly" message, and then a choice of start windows normally, last good configuration, safe mode, sae mode with internet, safe mode with networking (think those last 2 are right - its the standard screen I've had with my old machine anyway). Now whichever of these I choose, Windows starts to load, then the machine reboots and its back to square 1. Most confusing, and not a little frustrating as I now can't get at my Uni work.

Obvious question answers:

No, no new software installed for about 2 months
Ditto on downloads
(and they were games and patches for said games)

Although I did get a new monitor a fortnight ago, but its been in daily use with no problems.

Cheers for any help, and let me know what other information might help.
Cheers guys.
Paddy
Fetch me another plaything, this one seems to have broken.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:13 AM

Can the system boot okay from another source e.g. Windows CD, boot floppy, Linux boot CD?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Leprechaun

Leprechaun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:55 AM

Nope. The only thing that gets a response is putting in the system restore disk (its an advent machine), and then it just wants to wipe my hard drive entirely and start over. Obviously, Id rathe not, as bang goes 2 years of uni work, photos, and internet links, not to mention the non-essentials lik save games.

Is it a case of tough thats all I can do?

I've managed to get hold of a mate who said the following, and might help you help me, but its all right over my head

"The reboot thing sounds similar to the trouble we had once we got our PC "working" again - I can only assume that in powering down incorrectly it has knackered some vital system file that only a reinstall will fix.

What I ended up doing was to boot from a Live Rescue CD, copying any vital data from the system disk to a secondary disk and then reinstalling XP.

The problem with that method is that most of these CDs are Linux-based, and thus if you're not familiar with it you may struggle to find your way around. (If you're up to it - check out Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux as both are small enough to run entirely in RAM and may allow you to back stuff up to CD - there are other Live CDs to be found at distrowatch.org if those two don't cover what you need)

I do, however, have a Windows-based one that may be of some use if you're stuck."

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:38 PM

If retrieving your data is the issue, you can always remove your hard drive, and then install it as a slave in another working computer. Then (as long as there is nothing physically wrong with your hard drive) you should be able to navigate into that hard drive and remove the data.

Another option (and this one will not be liked very much) is to take it to a computer shop and let them do the parts that are over your head, such as removing the data. Then you could reinstall Windows yourself if you are comfortable with that. I guess it depends upon how 'valuable' your data is to you, and what your comfort level is.

Please don't take my post as the final word here, hopefully there will be more responses that may be able to walk you though this issue, I just wanted to put in my 2 cents!

Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:06 PM

That's the same issue i ran into a while back. Apparently something i had done corrupted one of the vital boot files of my XP.

I downloaded and burned a Knoppix (live linux) cd a few days before (oh the luck!) and was able to save all my pics and essays that i had done recently. Then, i simply re-installed windows (whiping the harddrive clean, unfortunately).

If you can't boot in safe mode, command prompt, or regular windows, a Live CD of another OS is the best way to go (for me anyway, i don't know much about slaving harddrives, and i'm not confident enough with the hardware to risk physical damage).

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:25 PM

If you can boot from your system restore disk then you should be able to boot from another CD but you say you cannot????

Ideas:
1) When booting press the F8 key to take you to the boot menu. Choose the 'Safe Mode with Command Prompt' option. Can you see any error messages before the system reboots?

2) Open the case (this is a desktop?) and remove all the cards except the video card (if present). See this tutorial for static precautions: Cleaning the Interior of your PC
Disconnect the power from the CD/DVD drives. Leave only one RAM stick in place. Power up and reboot. Any difference?
If so your power supply may be faulty. Borrow one from another computer to test or order a higher power model to replace it.

If there is another PC available we can talk you through fitting your hard drive into it as a slave so you can save your data. Find the make and model of your hard drive first.
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 Leprechaun

Leprechaun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:48 PM

Right, we're going to take the case off (it is a desktop Rimmer), and attempt putting the HD on another computer on Sunday when the other desktop owner in the house gets back (the others have laptops and none of us dare fiddle inside those). Fingers crossed that'll work to save the data (which is VERY important). Windows re-install isnt a problem, done that before, its the data retrieval thats the problem.

Cheers for help all, assume that no more news is good news

:thumbsup:

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 02:13 PM

Hard drives have become very cheap nowadays.

Another option would be to get a new hard drive, place it in as master and place your current hard drive in as slave.

Install the op system on the new drive.

That way you can get access to your data and in fact you do not even have to move it. You can just point your programs to store and access data on the slave drive.

An additional benefit is that you can use it for backup as well so you never again have the panic situation you are experiencing now.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:21 AM

I came to this late, so haven't read the entire thread.

Protect your data on the hard drive. Even if you can't access it - it's still there and can be recovered. If, when trying to access it, you get an access denied error - check this link out: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users