Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to access secure [https] web sites

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 colin

colin

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 06 November 2004 - 09:08 AM

Hello to everyone in the community. This is my first post and I hope I'm doing it right - if not, please tell me and I'll make whatever changes are needed.

I'd be grateful for any help that anyone can give me on being unable to access secure [https] web sites. I'm running IE6.0 on XP home. Everything was fine up until a few weeks ago when for some unknown reason I suddenly couldn't access https pages. I didn't make any changes to my IE settings at all - it just happened.

I've tried resetting the IE defaults, I've tried checking and unchecking the SSL2.0 and SSL3.0 boxes in IE settings, I've made sure that the proxy server box is not checked, I've checked the cipher strength [its 128] and I regularly clear cookies etc. but nothing helps. I just can't access https pages.

What happens is that I get an error message on the status bar which says done with errors and then, if I click it, I get an an error message saying permission is denied. Also, the Internet symbol [the green and blue globe] that should be in the right hand pane of the status bar is replaced by the My Computer symbol. At first this was intermittent but now it is happening all the time I'm logged on.

Its driving me crazy! I can't access most of my email carriers, do any home banking etc. Any help or suggestions would be welcome.

PS
I would like to say thank you for the tutorials - I found the ones on spywareblaster, spybot and adaware to be just about the clearest, best informed and well written articles that I've found on the web. They really help me to keep my system free of all that unwanted spyware rubbish. Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 06 November 2004 - 10:38 AM

Welcome to the site Colin.

While there could be a number of reasons why you can not access https sites, the information that you provided may have narrowed a few of them down.

Have you recently installed any applications from the internet? It is possible that some may contain spyware, or malware that is putting a restriction on access, even if you have changed it. You may want to run Hi Jack This, and post a log, just in case.

Can you access those sites with an alternate browser, such as Opera or Firefox? If you do not have either one of those, here is a link to Opera.

Have you recently upgraded to SP2? Although there are minor bugs from some people, it is possible that you could be included among those.

I will be checking back later. Right now, I need to go help out at a garage sale. My wife wants to buy, but I flat out told her that we just dont have room for a garage :thumbsup:
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 colin

colin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2004 - 11:51 AM

Many thanks for the reply Jason.

The only applications I've self installed are spybot, adaware, cw shredder, spy sweeper, spywareblaster, adobe acrobat and Hijack This. Hopefully none of those carry spyware!

I've run the first four on full scan and I have Norton and spywareblaster active so I'm sure as I can be that there isn't any spyware, malware etc. on my system but I guess you can never be 100% sure these days.

I'm not very technically minded and, to be honest, I find Hijack This a bit scary. I can run the scan but I lack the knowledge to decide what's good or bad and I don't want to delete important stuff by mistake. I can't seem to find any tool in the program that says this is bad, this is good etc.

I've never tried running another browser and know very little about them. Is it possible to run Opera or Firefox side by side with IE? My instinct tells me that IE would start behaving badly if another "rival" browser was loaded, but I may be wrong - my knowledge on the matter is very limited.

I haven't yet upgraded to SP2. The reason is that I've been reading quite a few horror stories on various sites, such as this one, about the trouble that people have had with SP2 so I thought I'd wait a bit.

Hope you enjoyed yourself at the garage sale!

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2004 - 04:25 PM

The only applications I've self installed are spybot, adaware, cw shredder, spy sweeper, spywareblaster, adobe acrobat and Hijack This. Hopefully none of those carry spyware!

Those applications do not contain spyware. You should be OK in that respect.

I'm not very technically minded and, to be honest, I find Hijack This a bit scary. I can run the scan but I lack the knowledge to decide what's good or bad and I don't want to delete important stuff by mistake. I can't seem to find any tool in the program that says this is bad, this is good etc.

Yes, this program can be a bit uneasy to use, but if you follow the steps listed in the tutorial on this site, then you will be ok. Here is a link to it HI Jack This tutorial. It will provide instructions on how to scan, and post the results to the site as a reply. As long as you do not check anything and click 'fix this', then no changes will be made. I am not a member, but after you post it, someone else will be able to help you with the fix.
I can not stress this enough-DO NOT FIX ANYTHING UNLESS DIRECTED BY A MEMBER OF THE HI JACK TEAM!!

I've never tried running another browser and know very little about them. Is it possible to run Opera or Firefox side by side with IE? My instinct tells me that IE would start behaving badly if another "rival" browser was loaded, but I may be wrong - my knowledge on the matter is very limited.

You would think that is the case, and you are partially right. IE does not mind you having another browser running-you can switch between then back and forth as long as you like. The limitation is really that when you do updates for XP, then you need to use IE to do so. Other then that, you may find that Opera (I say this one, because I am more familiar with it then others), is superior to IE.

I haven't yet upgraded to SP2. The reason is that I've been reading quite a few horror stories on various sites, such as this one, about the trouble that people have had with SP2 so I thought I'd wait a bit.

I have upgraded to SP2, and there have been a few minor problems on my end. Specifically options on my video card that are no longer available. When they (my video card maker), makes an update to the driver specifically for SP2, then it will likely be fixed. Personally, I would not upgrade until your computer is working properly anyway. It is my understanding that reverting back before SP2 can be a pain in the head.

Hope you enjoyed yourself at the garage sale!

Thanks for asking. I enjoy the new people that I get to meet. As a community, we have them 3 or 4 a year, and it is nice to just spend time with the neighbors. Maybe make a little money on the side is not bad, but I don't necessarily look forward to it.

#5 colin

colin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 03:19 PM

This is a message for Jason [JE Services]

I just wanted to say thank you for the input you gave me - you were the only one who offered any advice and it was much appreciated.

I've managed to resolve my problem. I realised that Windows SP2 rewrites IE and so, with some trepidation, I downloaded SP2. The result is that my browser now works and I can access secure web sites as before. I never reallly found out what was wrong with my old bowser but, hey, who cares, it works now and that's all that really matters.

Once again, many thanks Jason.

:thumbsup:

#6 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 05:15 PM

No problem on the help. You may want to d/l an alternate browser anyway, and use it when there are some problems with IE. Many times if you can eliminate possibilities, it makes solving them easier.

#7 cuddy05

cuddy05

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:47 PM

You know I haven't posted anything. But oh wow. Thanks so much, I am a tech for an internet service provider. And I had a customer call today, and I've fixed many of her problems but the one thing I could not fix was the inability to browse the secure websites. And I can honestly say the one thing I really didn't think of was having her try downloading Firefox, and what's funny is I use Firefox. I didn't even think about it! I was just so frustrated with all the issues that the previous agent had created! Thanks a million, I will call my member tomorrow and attempt to help her. Hopefully it works!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:05 PM

FWIW: A convenient list of things to try in such situations, http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/secure.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users