Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't use START for programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zxcvbnm555

zxcvbnm555

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

On my pc, I use XP Professional, I think it is near 10 years old. I can get on the web, use email and surf without a problem.

The problem is that the Windows "start" button (bottom left hand corner), does not let me access the web or programs like my webcam. So I can't get on the web using "start". I have to use an icon I made for another reason to get on the web, which works okay because I am here.
And when I go to my control panel, from "start", I cannot access System, Keyboard Mouse etc, it gives me an error message and I cannot do anything with them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

What is the exact error message you are receiving?

#3 zxcvbnm555

zxcvbnm555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

When I click on the control panel, I get this box below when I click on System or Keyboard and I cannot go farther.

----------------------------------------
Control Panel x

X C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe

Application not found

OK

-----------------------------------------

#4 Ryan0661

Ryan0661

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:56 AM

My guess would be you have an infections Download Combofix (here) run it and you may also want to do a system restore before hand if this problem started recently.

Mod Edit: Suggestion of ComboFix is not allowed at BC by anyone other than members of the MRT and is done in the Malware Removal Logs forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 12 January 2012 - 07:45 AM.
PM sent new member.

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:19 AM

Running combofix without supervision is dangerous.

You can try this

Download

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip

Extract and launch the registry file.click YES when you get a prompt

You should be able to launch control panel.This kind of errors are common on 2012 rogue infected PC.

You can take help of experts here if you think your PC is still infected

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html , please read and follow the Prep Guide instructions for posting ~ Hamluis.

Good luck

Edited by hamluis, 12 January 2012 - 07:48 AM.
Edited reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users