Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

kasperskey?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sniper8752

sniper8752

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

would you recommend kasperskey? i heard it was good, and am curious as to trying it out becuause i have stayed with free software (avg, avast!) for a long time... what do you recommend?

thanks.

Edit: Moved topic from All Other Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

You ask a very common question. Please take a look at our very own quietman7's topic: Answers to common security questions: Prevention & Choosing an Anti-virus or Firewall

As for your specific question about Kaspersky, I was a long time user until recently. Kaspersky has become more bloated and cumbersome and I have since switched to a different vendor. I would not personally recommend Kaspersky any longer. This is not to say it isn't a quality product, just that it no longer fits my needs. One size does not fit all. With many vendors offering free trials, it is wise to try before you buy if you go the paid route.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:43 AM

Hi,

ZoneAlarm uses the same scan engine as Kaspersky but costs a lot less. I have used it for years and won't even consider using anything else. I am not using the latest version because I am happy with the version from just a little over a year ago and see no reason to change.

I do not find it to be resourse intensive at all. In fact, it says it requires 1 gig of ram and I am running it with only 640 meg of ram and it does not slow my system at all.

#4 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

i've heard of zone alarm. i have heard a lot of users use it and like it. do you use it just for the firewall(free version)? which version do you use? what are they known for? i currently use avast!, and have never had an issue with it. i also know that avg and Microsoft security essentials are another respectable source.

also, how they stack up against windows 7 firewall?

also i was looking on cnet, and saw that zonealarm got bad reviews, and comodo firewall (which i use to have) and pc tools firewall plus have better reviews. just curious as to what you think about these. i am always willing to go out and try new things =D

Edited by sniper8752, 13 January 2012 - 01:01 PM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

Just remember that bad reviews are made by those who have problems with a program. Not everyone will experience issues with it. Sometimes a security program simply does not play nice with a system.

I agree with this and I often tell people to take it for a test drive before purchasing.

One size does not fit all. With many vendors offering free trials, it is wise to try before you buy if you go the paid route.

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:57 AM

Hi,

I use the Antivirus/Firewall that cost 29.95 and I prefer it to any other Antivirus program out there, free or otherwise.

I have no knowledge of the Windows 7 firewall as I am using XP.

#7 White_Zombie

White_Zombie

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:23 AM

Kaspersky is good, but try Avira First it's the best Free Anti-virus.

#8 Cable2001

Cable2001

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

Hi,

I use the Antivirus/Firewall that cost 29.95 and I prefer it to any other Antivirus program out there, free or otherwise.

I have no knowledge of the Windows 7 firewall as I am using XP.

That's what I do, too. I've used ZoneAlarm's firewall for years and recently added the AV after being less than satisfied with Norton, McAfee, and Kaspersky. I supplement it with Super Anti-Spyware and now rarely have any problem (and I go places on the internet I shouldn't).

#9 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

how does the zone alarm firewall stand against windows 7 firewall?

#10 Cable2001

Cable2001

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

I don't know. I've never used any of the windows firewalls.

#11 raborban

raborban

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:04 AM

Kaspersky is good, but it needs lots of "resourses"(RAM). I have been using it for years, I'm satisfied.

#12 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

I have no beef with Kasperski, I use a few of the tools they offer, but I tend to recommend Microsoft Security Essentials because it is free, does it's job well enough, and leaves you alone. For most end users, I think that and Malwarebytes' Antimalware are all you need. Security starts with safe browsing habits, after all. Everyone is different, however, and I agree with Queen-Evie and Animal on that point.
edited for spelling

Edited by Required Field, 09 February 2012 - 10:42 AM.

"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users